Help with a Small Mistake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

A friend of mine built me some BS cabinents for a Fostex FE206E (I know the 207E is better and I'll upgrade when I can find some for a good price). The dimensions are 20h x 9.5w x 13d. I just realized that the holes he cut for the drivers on each cab are not the same height. There is a 1cm difference.

Is this going to be a problem? I know I could just cut out the difference, but I'd rather not if this is not likely to effect the sound. I'd appreciate any help and comments.

thanks

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had once a couple of little cabinets for FRS8s. I gave to a friend to cut the holes. One had 1cm difference in hight.
I conducted listening tests. The cabinets were closed box bipole so I could flip em for direct comparison since only one hole was wrong in hight. Well I could not believe the loss of focus when I listened to the missaligned faces vs right ones. It was much more notable than differences in horizontal movement of the cabinets in relation to eachother up to 3cm. My suggestion is to use bases with different thickness so to equalize the difference.

Thanks everyone. I'm re-assured. With the speakers set-up, I think I can either choose not to notice the 1cm difference (or tilt my head a bit). Or, I suppose I could simply adjust the stands. So long as they sound identical, that's most important. I'll post some pics soon. They're veneered with real rosewood and look really nice...now let's hope they sound as good.

PS Has anyone tried the Cascade Quiet Kote that parts express sells for dampling cabinents?

Randy

Randy said:
Thanks everyone. I'm re-assured. With the speakers set-up, I think I can either choose not to notice the 1cm difference (or tilt my head a bit). Or, I suppose I could simply adjust the stands. So long as they sound identical, that's most important. I'll post some pics soon. They're veneered with real rosewood and look really nice...now let's hope they sound as good.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another solution, if you have the right listening room, would be to place the speaker with the lowest driver on the South side of the room and the one with the higher driver on the North side thus utilizing the earth's curvature to restore the balance. If this doesn't quite fix the problem then placing shims under the your chair's right legs should allow you to dial it in. This all assumes that your listening position is facing West. If you live in the Eastern Hemisphere, then of course you'll need to completely reverse all of the above. A more detailed explanation can be found in my upcoming book: "The Art of Speaker Feng Gooie".
Best Regards,
TerryO
OTOH, it may not be a problem (sonically) in the first place:^)

Okay. I've had these speakers together for a couple of days. I have listened with one driver 1cm higher and have listened with adjusted stands (drivers level). Both sound the same and imaging seems stable. I really appreciate everyone's comments and help with this.

In terms of sound quality, the FE206E in bass reflex seems to exibit all the qualities that others have noticed, especially lack of bass from 60 to 80. My girlfriend commented on the brightness and suggested that they sounded like over-blown computer speakers. Anyway, I put a 5ohm Mills resistor on the + terminaland this leveled things out a bit,. I'm driving with a Bryston 3BST, so more resistance may be needed. I'll have to experiment. For now, I think they need to be broken in some more (bought them used, but have no idea how long the studio used them). Pics soon.

Randy

Two comments:
I was working with a young fellow making a set of fe127 MLTL. He marked the location for the driver holes in the wrong place. I did not pick it up until we assembled and were beginning the finish. The wood was grain match so I could not make a new cabinet. So to solve the proble I took a piece of contrasting wood and made a face plate for each cabinet. It worked well and create a nice accent feature.

Nelson Pass has written some very good advise about making the Fostex drivers sound upto their potential .I recommend you get a copy of the AudioxPress where he talks about current sources and filters for full range drivers. His work has helped to get the best from this and other Fostex drivers.
Good luck

Attachments

• fe127 folded finished.jpg
    fe127 folded finished.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 183
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Aristotle, more than any other thinker, determined the orientation and the content of Western intellectual history. He was the author of a philosophical and scientific system that through the centuries became the support and vehicle for both medieval Christian and Islamic scholastic thought: until the end of the 17th century, Western culture was Aristotelian. And, even after the intellectual revolutions of centuries to follow, Aristotelian concepts and ideas remained embedded in Western thinking.

In fact in Prior Analytics Aristotle proposed the now famous Aristotelian syllogistic, a form of argument consisting of two premises and a conclusion. His example is:-

(i) Every Greek is a person.
(ii) Every person is mortal.
(iii) Every Greek is mortal.

So I would think:

(i) Every audiophile is a person.
(ii) Every person gains experience with time.
(iii) Every audiophile needs time.

just most folks won't notice it much/at all, like rhart hasn't (yet? )

The 'yet' word is the key and you put it in a nutshell.

Attachments

• aris1.jpg
    aris1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 145
SCD said:
Two comments:
I was working with a young fellow making a set of fe127 MLTL. He marked the location for the driver holes in the wrong place. I did not pick it up until we assembled and were beginning the finish. The wood was grain match so I could not make a new cabinet. So to solve the proble I took a piece of contrasting wood and made a face plate for each cabinet. It worked well and create a nice accent feature.

Nelson Pass has written some very good advise about making the Fostex drivers sound upto their potential .I recommend you get a copy of the AudioxPress where he talks about current sources and filters for full range drivers. His work has helped to get the best from this and other Fostex drivers.
Good luck

Thanks. I'll look into Nelson Pass stuff. Also, you're in Campbell River. Beautiful. I lived in Victoria while doing my BA and MA before moving to Toronto for my PhD. Can't wait to get back to the Island.

As far as Stocker's and Salas' discussion: While I'm not interested in the Classics (a friend of mine did write a book about moral codes in Antiquity though and I keep promising to read it), I do have some experience with audiophile-related stuff. I may notice a difference in the future as I get use to the new speakers, as they break in, and as I experiment with different configurations and different amps. I appreciate the debate; best way to learn something is to discuss and argue...

Randy

SCD said:

I've gotten those same speakers built as far as the MDF glued together and speakers put on(though I put NSB's in them). I'm waiting for warmer weather to finish them. If you hadn't said that the face plate was to fix a goof, I'd never had known. I love the look of them the way they are!

I'm still working on NSB's for practice. Once I've built another 2-3 sets of speakers (building different types each time), and am confident with my skills, I'll move on to more expensive drivers.:)

Tom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.