1970s Rola Plessey FR driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Does anyone know anything about these full range drivers?

They're a Rola Plessey 8inch, model C8MX00 and my googling tells me they're a 1970s Australian driver, but not much more. I'd love some more specs on them if anyone knows anything.

Also, does anyone recognize the logo on the cabinets (see the picture)?

I found these speakers on the hard rubbish (kerbside rubbish collection) but the drivers look to be in good condition. The box was a smallish vented box. Of course they're probably not as good as the pair of B&W DM330 speakers I found on the hard rubbish a few months ago :)

Attachments

• rola_combo.jpg
    rola_combo.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 743
Re:C8MX

I have a few NOS C8MXs and some other similar ones from 70s, (can't recall exact model, but may be 8PX???). In the 70s I built a similar slimline enclosure as described in Electronics Australia mag. It had a series of slots on the back of the enclosure and was lined with 1/2" felt--sortof an aperiodic vent. I remember it sounding OK, but that may be selective memory ;-) I would appreciate any plans for ROLA speakers or pointers to where I might find them as I am interested in full-range drivers, perhaps with helper tweeter on OB or aperiodic box. TIA

Regards

Ozziozzi

Ian, I emailed some docs through this morning ( at least I think i did? lunatic morning at work) did the PDF get to you? If not I can send them again. Regarding the Magnavox 8WRs, I am getting rid of some
MAGNAVOX 8WR130's at the moment on a 'certain online website'. I have too many 'projects' on the go, so I am cleaning out the shed.
I came back from a holiday in Japan last year with a hole bunch of speaker drivers, Fostex & Aurasound drivers are cheap over there compared to Australia. Cheers, Richard.

Dredging this thread up from the past ;)

I just picked up a couple of awful cabinets from the rubbish with pristine Plessey C8MX 3.5 ohm drivers in them. I guess these are the same units as discussed except for the impedance?
8" with whizzer cone.

I also scored an old radiogram console with a little ECL82 tuner/amp and a Rola 12K speaker which has the matching transformer attached. Anyone have specs on that driver? It doesn't appear in the Rola PDF I have.
Maybe the basis for a tube sub to go with the C8MX and a KSN1038 piezo tweeter on my little ECL86 stereo amp? :cool:

Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.