What's your take on this?!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was searching around about full range drivers and found this "modified" Fostex FE206E driver from Decware.

They go on and on about their wonderful "Decware Phase Guide" saying that it modifies the T/S Parameters slightly because it is steel which alters the magnetic field of the pole piece, that it has a hollow reservoir that resonates to create high and low pressure nodes at the tip, etc, etc, etc...

However, what they DON'T mention is that this amazing little "Phase Guide" is nothing more than a regular run-of-the-mill 3/8" wrench socket that is stuck to the pole piece magnetically upside down!

I'm sorry, but that just sounds way too far fetched to me. And everyone always complains about Bose and their marketing tactics?

Holy cow, what do you call this?!?!...

FE206EM.gif

Does anyone else feel the same way I do or am I going to get ganged up on? ;)

The cone is also treated with stiffening paint / ink, which is why it's a different colour to the standard FE206E. As for the socket... well, phase plugs do bring benefits. Firstly, the hollow under the dust-cap is filled, which will reduce ringing. The socket you can always add yourself, you just have to use a scalpel to cut away the dust-cap. They tend to give smoother high frequency response -and the FE206E needs some help in this regard: like most 8" full-range drivers, it's top end isn't that great. (This is measureable BTW, not voodoo nonsense) The socket is an interesting idea. However, I don't think the Decware drivers represent good value for money. I'd just buy the standard drivers, treat them with some paint / ink myself, stick a lump of polystyrene on the rear of the magnet to damp it and / or some rope-caulk, and buy two of Dave's (planet10) wooden phase-plugs. Look nicer, properly built for this job, and not too expensive. If you can't stretch to that, the socket's are the cheap option you can upgrade at a later date.

Best
Scott

I think the socket is hilarious. Such ingenuity, but I think part of the value is missing if it isn't tapered like a bullet. Speaking of which, last time at planet10's, his friend Chris grabbed a small (driver?) tube and stuck it in the center of some old drivers Dave had on hand. It worked very nicely as it magnetically stuck right to the pole piece. It was an all round success. Nice dispersion and good ol' tube sound all in one. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.