What do you guys think of this Fostex kit? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2006, 08:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What do you guys think of this Fostex kit?

http://madisound.com/bk16.html

I can't stop thinking about this kit. Its confusing me! I can't decide if it will suit my needs. right now i have a 3 way Peerless kit that sound pretty good. They will handle anything i throw at them, but they aren't very clean sounding. I listen to every kind of music...but mostly loud rock and roll and bassy hip hop. I'm not worried about the speakers producing alot of bass because i have a 15" subwoofer. So how would these compare to a 3 way Peerless speaker? would they be able to handle loud rock and bassy hip hop? Do they need a crossover because of the tweeter being in it too? I use an HK 330 receiver.

any info is appreciated! thanks guys.
Old 19th January 2006, 08:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Read this yet?

fostex bk-16.
Old 19th January 2006, 09:21 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

soo very good sounding. sometimes bright. need alot of time to break in?
Old 19th January 2006, 09:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You can buy these for $50 if you want (driver not included). But you must come to NY to get them.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/BK161ForSale.asp
Old 19th January 2006, 09:48 PM   #5
v1d9uy is offline v1d9uy  United States
diyAudio Member

hey godzilla love yer site ... and youre use of super cheap speakers lol i bookmarked it and backed up my bookmarks lol
Old 19th January 2006, 09:54 PM   #6
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

well, I think this little nice and affordable speaker is made fore small tubeamps and not to play loud hiphop - you could consider a big coaxialspeaker maybe from CommonSense Audio - but nobody writes about them so I dont know nothing more.
Old 20th January 2006, 01:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

ahh you figure these are best suited for a small tube amp? not for hip hop? damn...that's kinda dissapointing. What speakers do you guys thinks best for loud hip hop/rock music...and movies too.
Old 20th January 2006, 09:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Transmission lines. Horns can do rock very well, but not many of them are designed to be able to. And they'd be big. Very big. And heavy. Very heavy. And expensive. Very expen... you get the picture. Nope, if you want a full-range driver, I'd go for this: http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/Project05.html

Otherwise, it's a two way for you good sir! The Seas Thor in an MLTL enclosure should do you nicely if you can stretch that far (for heaven's sake don't use the original enclosure design though!)

Cheers
Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!