Line Array of FR125S ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2006, 12:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Line Array of FR125S ?

Is a vertical line array of FR125S without tweeters something that would be good ? Lets say about 8 to 12 drivers.

I have heard that you should build line arrays with drivers spaced apart less than a quarter wavelength of the highest frequency to be played by that driver.

So theoretically a full range line array of FR125S shouldn't be a good thing. However, practically, I have a guess that it could turn out sounding great.

In a similar design, Bose (sorry for the "Four Letter B word") has been pretty successful with using a line array of their 3" full range drivers in their musician Cylindrical Radiator speaker here: http://www.bose.com/controller?event...sic_live_music

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!
Old 17th January 2006, 01:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Full Range Driver Line Array

Unless you plan to apply heavy equalization to the arrays, you'll likely be disappointed with the results.

Darren Kuzma designed an array with 32 small 2.25" square Tang Band drivers as documented in his Kuze 3201 array.

You'll notice the sensitivity roll-off starting well below the upper octave. That decline must be compensated by equalization ifyou wish to have a flat response. also note the roughness of the uncompensated response for Darren's design. Your line of full range FR125S drivers would start nose diving much lower in frequency--say in the 3,000 Hz area--and would necesitate more EQ than Darren's array.

If you wish to build a line array with the CSS drivers, try the WR125S paired with a line of tweeters as I did in a recent design. My array has 12 WR125S drivers per side with 9 aurum Cantus G3i-130 ribbons as the tweeters.

If you haven't read my near field line array white paper, perhaps you should to understand the issues associated with line arrays.

Darren's 32 Driver Line Array
Near Field Line Array White Paper
Old 17th January 2006, 05:36 AM   #3
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Linaeum supertweeters are much cheaper than Aurum Cantus ribbons, and I already read about someone combining it with the WR125S.
Old 17th January 2006, 12:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

As far as I know the Linaeum supertweeters are no longer available from their manufacturer so you are not likely to find enough to populate a line line array. Even more serious though is that these tweeters can not go down to the 2000 Hz area or so for a decent crossover to a woofer line composed of WR125S or FR125S. In my WR125S line array I cross to the A-C G3i-130's at 1750 Hz. AFAIK none of the Linaeum tweeters come close to that capability!
Old 17th January 2006, 02:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

And the Linaeum tweeters sound like cocky to me.

http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...ure/index.html

This looks like a more interesting 'array' project from Darren using TB full rangers... His crossover scheme is neato.

Peace,
Godzilla

Hide this!Advertise here!