1uf or 2uf for helper tweeter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2006, 04:23 PM   #1
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 1uf or 2uf for helper tweeter

I have some drivers that go up to about 15Khz and need a bit of help above that. A lot of people say use a 1uf cap to cross at 10Khz (for 8 ohms) but the calculations say a 1uf cap puts the xover freq at 20Khz, but 2uf is 10Khz. Should I use 1uf or 2uf for a helper tweeter? I have a lot of 1uf metal film caps, will these work? Thanks
Old 12th January 2006, 04:38 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 1uf or 2uf for helper tweeter

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwill
I have a lot of 1uf metal film caps, will these work? Thanks
Yes they will, so try one or two with the helper tweeter.

/sreten.
Old 12th January 2006, 05:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Done

WOW, what a difference!!!!
Old 12th January 2006, 06:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

This is the first time the entire spectrum of my system is covered by DIY speakers! This cheapy mess of drivers sounds better than my mordant shorts running > 80Hz did!

I don't understand why the treble sounds so much better than on my supposed "hi-fi" speakers. Cymbals now sound like bits of metal instead of a generic TSSSss sounds. Very odd. The tweeters cost about 5 pounds each!
Old 12th January 2006, 06:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

1uf provides -6db at about 20k.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/Crossover.asp

This means it's gradually blending into the full ranger you have. Sometimes you might want to use an L-pad to further adjust the volume of the tweeter for an even better match if needed.

I love super tweeters. The cheaper the better!

Godzilla
Old 12th January 2006, 06:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It seems to blend pretty well. The level is about right luckily since it roughly matches the full ranger's efficiency. Hopefully there isn't too much of a hole in the trebel response.
Old 12th January 2006, 06:50 PM   #7
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is the first time the entire spectrum of my system is covered by DIY speakers! This cheapy mess of drivers sounds better than my mordant shorts running > 80Hz did!

I don't understand why the treble sounds so much better than on my supposed "hi-fi" speakers. Cymbals now sound like bits of metal instead of a generic TSSSss sounds. Very odd. The tweeters cost about 5 pounds each!
congratulations!, TL subwoofer + widerange + helper tweeter is a good way to go.

you might be surprised at how cheap the components in many "hi-fi" speakers really are (and also how compromised commercial designs often are), hence the whole diyaudio thing

be sure to check that your tweeters aren't running several dB louder than the rest of your system (and in general that your system has a balanced response. there are several shareware RTA audio analysis programs out there
Old 12th January 2006, 06:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 1uf or 2uf for helper tweeter

Quote:
I have some drivers that go up to about 15Khz and need a bit of help above that.
May I ask what driver are you using?
Old 12th January 2006, 07:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zobsky

be sure to check that your tweeters aren't running several dB louder than the rest of your system
Is it possible for this to happen and go unoticed? I don't want to be blasting my ears with loud 20Khz all the time! I'm 18 so my earing still goes that high and I don't want to mess it up with some badly integrated tweeters I have a bad feeling they're too loud actually... turning the treble down on my preamp gets rid of the treble quite a lot - but it's not completely gone like on my other speakers. The treble set to +0 sounds good, possibly rather bright.
Old 12th January 2006, 07:16 PM   #10
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Is it possible for this to happen and go unoticed? I don't want to be blasting my ears with loud 20Khz all the time! I'm 18 so my earing still goes that high and I don't want to mess it up with some badly integrated tweeters I have a bad feeling they're too loud actually... turning the treble down on my preamp gets rid of the treble quite a lot - but it's not completely gone like on my other speakers. The treble set to +0 sounds good, possibly rather bright.
even if your hearing goes out to 20KHz, chances are it's not going to be as sensitive at that frequency as say, 1000Hz.

if you have the T/S specs for the drivers, you could compare the efficiency of the widerange and the tweeter to guestimate if you might have a mismatch.

from there, experiment, ... a small resistor is a simple way to pad down the output ot a driver, if needed. google up for more info

Hide this!Advertise here!