Kef Q1 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2006, 12:21 AM   #1
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Question Kef Q1

Any opinion on the KEF Q1???
Old 12th January 2006, 12:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Pretty box, very good mids, but with slightly recessed, but still clear bass and treble.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th January 2006, 12:38 PM   #3
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Q1 Dissapointment...

I just bought the Kef Q1 cheap and I am quite dissapointed. Cool looking box tho, but midrange and highs are VERY lacking. I don't know what I was expecting, as I am quite spoiled with my Maggie MMG's. Mid bass is full, and that's it's only good point.

Thinking of messing with the crossover to see what I can do to boost the upper range. Anyone have any suggestions? Also thinking of dumping the lame Uni-Crap driver in favor of a nice 6.5" Fulll Range Fostex. Like I said, the box alone was worth what I paid. Not a scratch on them too. Anyone want the drivers and crossovers (maybe)??
Old 28th January 2006, 08:22 PM   #4
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

John, YGM.
Old 30th January 2006, 10:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

i've spent a lot of time with q1s, good/smooth mids and highs but bass imho is a bit artificial... and at low volumes theres very little bass... these speakers take those Fletcher-Munson curves rather too seriously.

self.
Old 2nd February 2006, 02:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Whoa...

So I was bored as all get out the other night, so I decided to take apart my KEF Q1's just for the hell of it. Nothing fancy, but I saw that it was pretty solidly built, compared to other speakers I have ripped open...

I was really disappointed on the entire KEF Q1 sound, way too laid back, no presence, and all midbass. Kinda reminded me of the old sears console that we had in the 70's. Just blah. No matter how much treble or bass I turned up on the ol console, it just sounded blah with more treble or bass. I though to myself, why are there people that like the sound of these? They look cool and look like the should sound great, but they had to be one of the worst speaker buys I have made in a long while. Now I have to say that I purchased them from a Pawn shop for $100, unauditioned, but they were in PERFECT condition - nada scratch on 'em.

Anywho, I was messing around the night before with a pair of Full Range 4" Fostex FE126 speakers and decided to try the KEFs straight thru, no crossover to the woofer.

What a freaking difference. The quashed midrange was all there, as I suspected, being veiled by the overly abitious crossover. I liked it so much that I did the other speaker, and then just left both tweeters connected to the existing crossover crossed over at 2800Hz. The X'ed tweeters are still sound sucked in and barely audible, but the 6.5" woofer is solidly performing some of the higher spectrum sound with impressive results.

I plan on building a simple 1st order butterworth crossover, or just adding a cap filter to the tweeter and leaving the woofer straight up.

Now I am sure the KEF engineers had their intent on designing the crossover to acheive a nice flat response curve, but it sounded horrible. I am quite sure by the time I finish the crossover , the speaker would most likely generate a curve most would laugh at. A lot. But the name of the game is whatever sounds best, right?

Anyway, anyone have any experience with modifying crossovers on the Q series KEFs? Am I the only audiosoul that feels this way?
Old 3rd February 2006, 12:02 AM   #7
Magsy is offline Magsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have the full Q1 AV setup, I'm using a pair for music only at the moment. I'm quite happy, the midbass is great but I do find them a bit sucked out at times. I've tried various sources and amps but I cannot get the vocals to punch you in the face as I'd like them too, they are very clear though and the soundstaging is fantastic, vocals project very very well.

I hated them at first but having bought all five speakers with no option to return them I had to put up with them. After a few weeks either they broke in or I did because I don't really find them lacking now. I have them up against a wall in a smallish room so the lower bass is ok. I don't like a lot of treble and I am sitting quite close, there is nothing lacking up there just maybe attenuated a little but it suits me.

Please keep us updated on how you get on, I'll give mine a go mids straight through this weekend
Old 7th February 2006, 08:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well I finally got to messing with the crossover and left the woofer straight thru and the tweeter cap at 47uF, thus giving the tweeter a high pass filter at around 800 - 1000 hz. I know there's some overlap between the woofer's upper end and the tweeter's lower end, but the combo just sounds right to me. I may add an inductor to the woofer someday, but for now I'm happy. The vocals are much more alive and the good midbass is still there, giving the speaker a much more dynamic and clear sound it desperately needed.

I may also try different caps on the tweeter too.

All in all, a good buy for $100.
Old 9th February 2006, 10:34 PM   #9
Magsy is offline Magsy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is it a 4 ohm tweeter John?

47uf seems to be incorrect for the 8 ohm it claims on the back..
Old 10th February 2006, 01:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

If you look at the back of the woofer, I beleive it has 4ohm scratched on it. Just for the hell of it, I put a MM on both tweeter and woofer and both read 3.8 ohm. I know this is not the correct way to measure impedance, but I also checked across another known 4 ohm woofer and it also read 3.9 ohm.

Maybe these tweeters/woofers were wired in series? I haven't traced the existing crossover just yet... Don't know how you can biamp a series crossover, tho.

Hide this!Advertise here!