New speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had Scott at steinaudio.com built me a set of buschhorn II and I just mounted Fostex 126 on them yesterday. The sound is really great and bass is quite good for such tiny drivers. Anyhow, I am very happy with these speakers. Just want to share my joy. Thanks.

Attachments

• p1010004.jpg
    p1010004.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 2,245
FE126E and Bucshhorn Mk2

Those horns look very nice. Good work. How do they sound?

When you say Buschhorn II, do you mean the Buschhorn Mk2 ?

The FE126E is getting some very good praise, a lot of it coming from www.thehornshoppe.com They like the FE126E much better than the FE108ES! If I am not mistaken, thehornshoppe design is very similar to that of the Buschhorn Mk2.

What I don't understand is how one enclosure can be good for different drivers?

FE103 Fs=79.5Hz, Qms=2.87, Qes=0.40, Qts=0.36, BL=4.42, Vas=6.9L
FE108ES Fs=77 Hz, Qms=7.79, Qes=0.32, Qts=0.3, BL=5.2, Vas=5.7L
FE126E Fs=70Hz, Qms=2.96, Qes=0.27, Qts=0.25, BL=5.92, Vas=9.95L

I would have guessed that a larger horn would be required for the FE126E?

Re: FE126E and Bucshhorn Mk2

GG said:
Those horns look very nice. Good work. How do they sound?

When you say Buschhorn II, do you mean the Buschhorn Mk2 ?

The FE126E is getting some very good praise, a lot of it coming from www.thehornshoppe.com They like the FE126E much better than the FE108ES! If I am not mistaken, thehornshoppe design is very similar to that of the Buschhorn Mk2. *

What I don't understand is how one enclosure can be good for different drivers?

FE103 Fs=79.5Hz, Qms=2.87, Qes=0.40, Qts=0.36, BL=4.42, Vas=6.9L
FE108ES Fs=77 Hz, Qms=7.79, Qes=0.32, Qts=0.3, BL=5.2, Vas=5.7L
FE126E Fs=70Hz, Qms=2.96, Qes=0.27, Qts=0.25, BL=5.92, Vas=9.95L

I would have guessed that a larger horn would be required for the FE126E?

* Mr Schilling would disagree with you on that; depending on his mood at the time, with creative and colorful language.

If anything, his horn is based on the MKI design, modified not least of all to accomodate a larger sized driver than Dr Busch had orginally intended ( i.e 83mm)

I've built both the BH MkI and II, and used the FE108ESigma and the FE126E, as well as the vintage Foster Alnico ancestor to the FE103. Either of these enclosures can "work" reasonably well without being fanatically optimized for any of the Fostex drivers you've listed.

Ed's serendipitous discovery that the FE126 fits his design like a glove, and the wide agreement that it surpasses the FE108 in all areas (except dare I say some finesse in the midrange?) would suggest that, no a larger horn might not be necessary provided you're able to provide the required corner loading the enclosure upon which the enclosure depends .

While the science and math behind horn loudspeaker design is not exactly new, it's certainly obscure enough for a lot of us math challenged.
There is continuing work being done by folks like Ron Clarke and particularly Martin King in refining their modelling programs to assist the advanced DIYer in optimizing their designs with computer software and simulations.

I've also built Ron's A126 horn ( or whatever he's calling it these days), and can attest that if you can afford the space it outperforms any of the mentioned DIY designs.

Re: Re: FE126E and Bucshhorn Mk2

chrisb said:

* Mr Schilling would disagree with you on that; depending on his mood at the time, with creative and colorful language.

If anything, his horn is based on the MKI design, modified not least of all to accomodate a larger sized driver than Dr Busch had orginally intended ( i.e 83mm)

My mistake.

Source: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazine/equipment/0202/thehorn.htm

The Horn is based on the German "Buschorn" folding method which is a rear-loaded folded horn. The horn itself is approximately six feet long with a "loosely exponential" flair. The original design was optimized to work with a 3" driver, but Ed Schilling has altered the horn to work with either of the two drivers that he offers. For $525, customers get a generic Fe103 design, or for $700 they get a pair of Fostex Fe108 Sigma drivers.

I am suprised that one design can be so forgiving and will work with such a variety of drivers. I will have to give a horn design a go soon.

Cheers,
Gio.

I did not do any modding to the design except make the hole larger to fit the 126 drivers. Whether or not the specs of the 126 fit well with the Busch Horns MKii design or not, the speakers impress the heck out of me and all the people who have heard them., and yes everyone who have heard them - like them very much.

The A126 is still my favorite speaker at the moment, Dave's tweaks to the FE126 make for quite an improvement, smoothing that tendency to get a bit forward and shouty in either this cabinet or the Buschorm MKI

As for space requirements, the photos on the above mentioned thread might not portray the positioning very well, but they're set up diagonally across the one available corner of the living room, spaced about 6 feet apart, and with only about 5 degrees of toe-in. My main listening chair is about 8ft away - but there's still reasonably good tonal balance ( if not the depth of soundstage) at a couch situated 45degrees of axis on the right side wall of the room.

I'm no engineer :eek: (not that there's anything wrong with that), but I think it's fair to say that the deflector prisms are an essential component to the proper coupling of the output of the horn mouth to the room. There's probably no reason that a similar approach couldn't be attempted with either model of Buschorn, or even the Hornshoppe.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chrisb said:
As for space requirements, the photos on the above mentioned thread might not portray the positioning very well,

Pic below is the best one i have to give some room context. Hopefully the fireplace gives some reference.

In correspondance with Ron, he took (factory) dispersion characteristics into consideration with driver placement. With the height and little or no toe-in, the idea is to put you off-axis just enuff to flatten the FR.

the deflector prisms are an essential component to the proper coupling of the output of the horn mouth to the room.

Indeed when we 1st mocked up the stop signs with a handy piece of cardboard, it was a real gestault experience....

A good generic name for these things needs coining -- i've been calling them "tori" (torus).

dave

Attachments

• ronhorn-a126-insitu.jpg
    ronhorn-a126-insitu.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 621
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.