diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   New speakers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/71466-new-speakers.html)

justpoor 11th January 2006 02:28 AM

New speakers
 
2 Attachment(s)
I had Scott at steinaudio.com built me a set of buschhorn II and I just mounted Fostex 126 on them yesterday. The sound is really great and bass is quite good for such tiny drivers. Anyhow, I am very happy with these speakers. Just want to share my joy. Thanks.

justpoor 11th January 2006 02:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Another pict

bigwill 13th January 2006 09:33 PM

Very nice, I hope to invest in some nice fostex drivers soon myself

gmilitano 13th January 2006 11:12 PM

FE126E and Bucshhorn Mk2
 
Those horns look very nice. Good work. How do they sound?

When you say Buschhorn II, do you mean the Buschhorn Mk2 ?

The FE126E is getting some very good praise, a lot of it coming from www.thehornshoppe.com They like the FE126E much better than the FE108ES! If I am not mistaken, thehornshoppe design is very similar to that of the Buschhorn Mk2.

What I don't understand is how one enclosure can be good for different drivers?

FE103 Fs=79.5Hz, Qms=2.87, Qes=0.40, Qts=0.36, BL=4.42, Vas=6.9L
FE108ES Fs=77 Hz, Qms=7.79, Qes=0.32, Qts=0.3, BL=5.2, Vas=5.7L
FE126E Fs=70Hz, Qms=2.96, Qes=0.27, Qts=0.25, BL=5.92, Vas=9.95L

I would have guessed that a larger horn would be required for the FE126E?

chrisb 6th April 2006 02:11 AM

Re: FE126E and Bucshhorn Mk2
 
Quote:

Originally posted by GG
Those horns look very nice. Good work. How do they sound?

When you say Buschhorn II, do you mean the Buschhorn Mk2 ?

The FE126E is getting some very good praise, a lot of it coming from www.thehornshoppe.com They like the FE126E much better than the FE108ES! If I am not mistaken, thehornshoppe design is very similar to that of the Buschhorn Mk2. *

What I don't understand is how one enclosure can be good for different drivers?

FE103 Fs=79.5Hz, Qms=2.87, Qes=0.40, Qts=0.36, BL=4.42, Vas=6.9L
FE108ES Fs=77 Hz, Qms=7.79, Qes=0.32, Qts=0.3, BL=5.2, Vas=5.7L
FE126E Fs=70Hz, Qms=2.96, Qes=0.27, Qts=0.25, BL=5.92, Vas=9.95L

I would have guessed that a larger horn would be required for the FE126E?
* Mr Schilling would disagree with you on that; depending on his mood at the time, with creative and colorful language.

If anything, his horn is based on the MKI design, modified not least of all to accomodate a larger sized driver than Dr Busch had orginally intended ( i.e 83mm)


I've built both the BH MkI and II, and used the FE108ESigma and the FE126E, as well as the vintage Foster Alnico ancestor to the FE103. Either of these enclosures can "work" reasonably well without being fanatically optimized for any of the Fostex drivers you've listed.

Ed's serendipitous discovery that the FE126 fits his design like a glove, and the wide agreement that it surpasses the FE108 in all areas (except dare I say some finesse in the midrange?) would suggest that, no a larger horn might not be necessary provided you're able to provide the required corner loading the enclosure upon which the enclosure depends .


While the science and math behind horn loudspeaker design is not exactly new, it's certainly obscure enough for a lot of us math challenged.
There is continuing work being done by folks like Ron Clarke and particularly Martin King in refining their modelling programs to assist the advanced DIYer in optimizing their designs with computer software and simulations.

I've also built Ron's A126 horn ( or whatever he's calling it these days), and can attest that if you can afford the space it outperforms any of the mentioned DIY designs.

gmilitano 6th April 2006 04:03 AM

Re: Re: FE126E and Bucshhorn Mk2
 
Quote:

Originally posted by chrisb


* Mr Schilling would disagree with you on that; depending on his mood at the time, with creative and colorful language.

If anything, his horn is based on the MKI design, modified not least of all to accomodate a larger sized driver than Dr Busch had orginally intended ( i.e 83mm)

My mistake.

Quote:

Source: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazin...02/thehorn.htm



The Horn is based on the German "Buschorn" folding method which is a rear-loaded folded horn. The horn itself is approximately six feet long with a "loosely exponential" flair. The original design was optimized to work with a 3" driver, but Ed Schilling has altered the horn to work with either of the two drivers that he offers. For $525, customers get a generic Fe103 design, or for $700 they get a pair of Fostex Fe108 Sigma drivers.


I am suprised that one design can be so forgiving and will work with such a variety of drivers. I will have to give a horn design a go soon.

Cheers,
Gio.

justpoor 6th April 2006 04:50 AM

I did not do any modding to the design except make the hole larger to fit the 126 drivers. Whether or not the specs of the 126 fit well with the Busch Horns MKii design or not, the speakers impress the heck out of me and all the people who have heard them., and yes everyone who have heard them - like them very much.

westend 6th April 2006 05:52 AM

Dr. Busch would be proud:D . It appears you have a textured finish on the cabs. Was that to remove any resonances or simply cosmetic?

justpoor 7th April 2006 02:20 AM

I textured the cabinets just for look and ease of cover imperfection.

Paul Ebert 7th April 2006 12:18 PM

Re: Re: FE126E and Bucshhorn Mk2
 
Quote:

Originally posted by chrisb

I've also built Ron's A126 horn ( or whatever he's calling it these days), and can attest that if you can afford the space it outperforms any of the mentioned DIY designs.

What are the space requirements for the A126? Can you direct me to where I can learn more about this design?

Thanks.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:57 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2