BD-Pipes with Radio Shack 40-1197

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chipco3434 said:
Can anybody point me to a site for plans...?

Google returns zip, nada. It's not on the BD site.

Millet's site is not available.

PDF, DXF, or DWG

Guess i need to speed up the process of getting this deign into my box library. I have berts original gifs somewhere, but here is a link to the single driver version -- all you have to do is trim off the back angle bit and mount a driver there -- i'm pretty sure the ML-port is the same.

http://diyaudio.8m.com/Solo/solo.html

dave

Re: Re: Re: Measured Response of BD-Pipes

planet10 said:

You here about it, and i have seen measures that show it -- none as big as yours. Have you puzzlecoated your drivers?

dave

Nope, no puzzlecoat. Yet. I guess that is the next one to try.

planet10 said:

Height of your ceiling?

This is actually fairly typical of in room measures in the bass. Move your mic over a ft either direction and see what happens.

dave

Ceiling height is 2.4 m. I should have tought about moving the mic around.

Cheers,
Gio.

Ya, I thought that was a good idea after I posted.

I will email him the DWG in Imperial with my thank you. I also drew the optimized layout. You can get two pairs of speakers from a 4' by 8' sheet. Generally, it's a small marginal factor to make a second pair. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

I got a nice reply to my email to Mr. Doppenburg...

>>>snip
Hi Chip,

Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts. The design is free to anyone so please do post it or use the design like you please.

A link to my pages or mentioning my name would be appreciated though.. :)
Ciao,
Bert
Internet: www.bd-design.nl
>>>snip

If you would be interested in the cut list & .dwg for the BD Pipes in Imperial (inches), you can email me.

chipco3434 said:
A morning away and I have the cases assembled for two pair!

Got a two pair of RS's for one and I'll buy some Fostex's for the other.

Thanks to GG for inspiring me to build these AND radius the backs BEFORE assembly.

You da' man!

Chip,

If you have four 40-1197 and four FE103E you may want to consider using the 40-1197 as the rear drivers and the FE103E as the front driver. The FE103E is supposed to have a smoother mid range and more extended response, while the 40-1197 has a higher Q and can develop more bass.

Be sure to post some pictures.

Cheers,
Gio.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
GG said:
The FE103E is supposed to have a smoother mid range and more extended response, while the 40-1197 has a higher Q and can develop more bass.

I have a pair of each and think that the 103 is a better driver (in terms of specs and how it sounds) all around because of it's lower resonant frequency and better high frequency response. I also measured each driver's T/S parameters with FuzzMeasure and posted the results with the impedance plots in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=849231#post849231

I would likely lean towards the FE103E, however, the FE107E may be a good choice as it is a higher Q driver which is better suited for a pipe than the FE103E.

Perhaps you could try both and compare.

Cheers,
Gio.

chipco3434 said:
...and it would look cooler too!!! Great idea.

I haven't bought the Fostex's yet.

Which Fostex for me?????

103? 107? Bananas?

Any recommendations are welcome.

If you have four 40-1197 and four FE103E you may want to consider using the 40-1197 as the rear drivers and the FE103E as the front driver. The FE103E is supposed to have a smoother mid range and more extended response, while the 40-1197 has a higher Q and can develop more bass.

Fired them up last night with a BrianGT 3875. I AM IN AWE! Incredible sound & detail. Great bass for such little animals. Did the 103's up front and the 1197's in the rear.

They are HI-FI! Sound great. I made two pairs.

bd1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
chipco3434 said:
Hey Planet10... I know you read all this wacky Full Range stuff. What's the verdict on the super tweeter & cap for these little bad boys? Nothing that's made of unobtainium... can be purchased on the 3rd planet.

Man they sound GREAT!

Glad you are happy. I've not had the chance to play with a real 103. The 1197 needs help above about 10k (2 uF cap + 8 ohm tweeter). With the 103 a bit smaller cap might be required. There are lots of tweeters that work well and where you will find that the tweeters cost less than the Solen caps, and shipping even more. ie A set of thimble tweeters, 1.8 uF Solens, shipped slow boat to the US would be close to $10. Air adds a couple bucks.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.