1st project complete - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2005, 12:54 AM   #1
asoprs is offline asoprs  United States
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up 1st project complete

Just finished my first diy project! I made a simple pair of BR cabinets for some fostex 127e's and they sound great.

I thought it would be fun to try and build some full range speakers for my SI t-amp. since I know zip about woodworking, i needed to keep it simple. I used win ISD and settled on an 18 litre box tuned to 62hz. this gives a very slight hump and -3db at about 55hz.

with my plan in place, i ordered the drivers and started to break them in in cardboard boxes. I have to admit i was concerned as they sounded thin and bad.

with my limited skillz, it took me a while to finish the boxes. I don't think any angle is completely square.

Well, i just dropped in the drivers and WOW!. Hey there's bass in there. The driver is very clear and accurate and the bass is much better than I expected. some reggae and hip hop have bass to low for the speaker, but everthing else is OK.

anyway, consider me a convert. I cant believe how good a crap job like mine can sound. I am already planning on building some big tapered pipes to put these drivers in. any suggestions ?

just fired up and wanted to share.

tomjavascript:smilie('')
smile
Old 31st December 2005, 09:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

As you say you want a big tapered pipe, then, assuming you have the rear wall to load it, a reduced version of Terry Cain's Bigger Is Better TQWT (actually a folded corner-backhorn) is on. You'll see the original on the Single Driver Site here:
http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ8.html. However, that's going to be a bit over-large for the smaller FE127E -certainly over-long at any rate. Dimensions I'd use for the for the FE127E assuming 3/4" build material:

Height: not including whatever base you wish to give it, 52 1/4".(I've set 1/4 wave tuning to 65Hz here, fractionally below the Fs of the driver)
Width: 7" (external)
Depth: 10 1/4" (external)
Driver height from base: 29"
Internal baffle terminates 4" from the floor of the cabient and 4" from the front and rear baffle internal walls.

Cheers
Scott
Old 2nd January 2006, 01:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

http://www.zillaspeak.com/fostex127eStraightPipe.asp

You can also do this... it's a straight pipe with a 127e.

Optimized for the Radio Shack 1354 but the 127e sounds better.

The BIB box Scott specs above seems pretty cool too.

Peace,
Godzilla

Hide this!Advertise here!