1st project complete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just finished my first diy project! I made a simple pair of BR cabinets for some fostex 127e's and they sound great.

I thought it would be fun to try and build some full range speakers for my SI t-amp. since I know zip about woodworking, i needed to keep it simple. I used win ISD and settled on an 18 litre box tuned to 62hz. this gives a very slight hump and -3db at about 55hz.

with my plan in place, i ordered the drivers and started to break them in in cardboard boxes. I have to admit i was concerned as they sounded thin and bad.

with my limited skillz, it took me a while to finish the boxes. I don't think any angle is completely square.

Well, i just dropped in the drivers and WOW!. Hey there's bass in there. The driver is very clear and accurate and the bass is much better than I expected. some reggae and hip hop have bass to low for the speaker, but everthing else is OK.

anyway, consider me a convert. I cant believe how good a crap job like mine can sound. I am already planning on building some big tapered pipes to put these drivers in. any suggestions ?

just fired up and wanted to share.

tomjavascript:smilie(':)')
smile

As you say you want a big tapered pipe, then, assuming you have the rear wall to load it, a reduced version of Terry Cain's Bigger Is Better TQWT (actually a folded corner-backhorn) is on. You'll see the original on the Single Driver Site here:
http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ8.html. However, that's going to be a bit over-large for the smaller FE127E -certainly over-long at any rate. Dimensions I'd use for the for the FE127E assuming 3/4" build material:

Height: not including whatever base you wish to give it, 52 1/4".(I've set 1/4 wave tuning to 65Hz here, fractionally below the Fs of the driver)
Width: 7" (external)
Depth: 10 1/4" (external)
Driver height from base: 29"
Internal baffle terminates 4" from the floor of the cabient and 4" from the front and rear baffle internal walls.

Cheers
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.