Bandor 50s (Jordan JX53 info may be of use too due to their similarities)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right, I have purchased a pair of Bandor AFSW/8 full(ish) range drivers.

Specs are available at http://www.bandor.co.uk/products_frame.htm

My intention was to run these in a sealed box, probably of long sealed tapered design to attenuate the rearwave as much as possible. I was hoping to cross these over 1st order at about 250-300Hz to reduce excursion. I am also considering the MAPD loading system by northcreek music, using an Aperiodic membrane to reduce excursion, instead of an electrical filter. I cannot afford to make an array, just yet.

I have a pair of Seas 8" Aluminum coned drivers to run for the low end, probably sealed with a linkwitz transform.

So anyone got any better/other ideas? the similarity between the Bandors and Jordan JX53s means any jordan designs may be worth a look, does anyone have a successful MLQWT or TL design for the single Bandor/Jordan. The driver does appear to go low rather well (Fs of 65Hz) it just runs out of excursion awfully quickly (hence the thought of a TL to reduce excursion).

that is the one design I have found and looked at this evening.

I'm aiming for a design somewhat more spouse friendly. My thoughts were for a front firing Bandor 50 and the bass driver side firing to keep the cabinet narrow. I'm aiming for about 38" high, 5.5-6" wide and about 9" deep, possibly with a sloping baffle.

Puggie said:
My thoughts were for a front firing Bandor 50 and the bass driver side firing to keep the cabinet narrow.
With 1st order xover you'll need it to be relatively high (Rune used 500Hz?) so I would want both drivers to be on the same plane. Rule-of-thumb is that the drivers should be within one wavelength (at xover freq) of each other, but with such gradual slopes you might want to make them even closer just to be safe.

You can still get a small footprint with front-facing drivers. Keep in mind that the narrow baffle means baffle-step drop-off needs to be considered.

With a vented cabinet that tall and skinny, I think you'll want to account for pipe resonances. I would download Martin King's worksheets to model your design.

Have you considered using one of the Bandor bass drivers? I am pretty sure they would have specific designs for xover and cabinets, they might very well suit your needs. Just a thought.

The Bandor midbass drivers are lovely and very reasonably priced considering their performance IMHO. I have the Seas though and they are an Aluminium cone so should have a hope of blending with the Bandors tonally. My choice is based on me currently having them so they will not cost me anything.

The Bandor 50 has a low Fs compared to the jordan (65Hz) so I'm hoping with relatively low power I can get away with the lower Xover point (people seem to run arrays of 2 or 4 of these wothough any Xover!)

I have been using Bass box pro for roughing out box designes then Martins worksheets for fine tuning.

Puggie said:
The Bandor midbass drivers are lovely and very reasonably priced considering their performance IMHO. I have the Seas though and they are an Aluminium cone so should have a hope of blending with the Bandors tonally. My choice is based on me currently having them so they will not cost me anything.

The Bandor 50 has a low Fs compared to the jordan (65Hz) so I'm hoping with relatively low power I can get away with the lower Xover point (people seem to run arrays of 2 or 4 of these wothough any Xover!)

I have been using Bass box pro for roughing out box designes then Martins worksheets for fine tuning.
Right on. I didn't read carefully enough that you already had those woofers. They certainly have a good reputation.

I'm curious how the project goes.

Well, got the Bandors in 2.5l sealed enclosures, they are bodged beyond belief, I've gaffa/duct/duck taped the drivers into the boxes (old set of birch ply boxes I no longer use). So the boxes and lossy and leaky but the drivers actually sound really good, suprisingly loud for 50mm drivers and very clear and together sounding.

next stage is to try a MAPD type enclosure, hopefully at the weekend.

Still not sure on what enclosure to put the Seas in!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.