Pre-Orders Up for 206-ESR - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2006, 08:48 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to slappomatt
so has anone heard one of these in the fostex rec horn? where are the juicey details... i have been listening to my FE166ES-R's for a while now in the rec horns and i am really kicking myself for using mdf dont look forward to redoing these in birch but at least i have a better table saw now
Old 4th March 2006, 09:45 PM   #52
bravi is offline bravi  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default MDF for eclosure

Why are you disappointed with MDF as an enclosure for the Fostex ESR.? What improvements can be achieved with Birch ply?

My Fostex ESR speakers are on the way and I was thinkfing of using MDF for the enclosure.
Old 6th March 2006, 04:33 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to slappomatt
there where several people talking about it before. i beleive it was in the 166esr enclosure thread back last year. but almost all agreed that mdf was too inert for horn use. they said it just sounded dead and lifeless. when i put my 166esr drivers from the OB i was using into the factory horn cabs i did pick up a very respectable bottom end but all that high end magic and sparkle died. i tried taking out the dampening i used but it didnt make much differance. in the end i added a tweeter and they sound ok now. but notting i would call special. im kinda looking for something else now. want to try OB again, with a more appropriot speaker.
Old 6th March 2006, 04:46 PM   #54
no xo is offline no xo  United States
diyAudio Member

Slappomat, Ihave not heard the 206ESR`s in the Fostex recommended horns yet, for me, this will be a faith based project. I`ve got the baltic birch in the basement now, but have`nt started cutting. This morning UPS sent a confirmation regarding a shopment from Madisound, so I`ll begin this week. Any horns I make will use baltic birch, and BR boxes will be MDF. This is mainly based on what I read on this site and the single driver site, and so far the results are good.
Old 24th July 2006, 02:15 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Default holes in the recommended box

Hello,
Does anybody know what is the purpose of the holes on the back side on BL recommended design plans for 206 ES-R? The holes are with diameter 24 mm.
Old 24th July 2006, 09:46 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Binding posts?
Old 25th July 2006, 03:51 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Toto, the plans I downloaded from the Madisound site show two12mm holes spaced 25mm apart for the binding posts. I don`t see any 24mm holes. I`ve built the horns and they are breaking in beautifully. I did not cut holes for binding posts. I cut a hole about 2"x3" and made a plate from MDF with a hole in the center and soldered my speaker wires directly to the driver and eliminated connections on the speaker. This allows me to get inside far enough so I could change things if I wanted and I can get my hand inside the throat from the back or driver hole to access wires.
Old 27th July 2006, 07:25 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

Thanks to No Xo and Pendergast!

Yes this is my mistake about diameter! The holes are 12 mm!
I post my question because I thought that there is something more special around these holes, related with some specifics in horn design. Now I'm sure that my pair will not have such holes!

Maybe here is the place to ask for suggestions about suitable amplifier for 206 ES-R in recommended enclosure. I'm planning to use SE 4 W with Russian tubes.
Old 27th July 2006, 07:45 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Toto, my expirience with amps is limited. I use a Cary AES25DJH, 35watt PP triode ,for my main 2 channel system and like it. What really surprised me is how good they sound thru my NAD HT receiver. Someday I`ll build a SET kit, not sure which one.
Old 31st July 2006, 09:27 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ConExp Send a message via MSN to ConExp Send a message via Yahoo to ConExp
Default Ping Raffi and Till (Roemhild)

Hi,

I am using Hornresp to simulate BLH.
I noticed (long time ago) that a bigger (bigger then what would consider common practice) rear chamber is required to calm down FR of BLH, but then I found your article and learned about your design philosophy of BL Horns.

I played with Hornresp on different BLH (for the FE206ES-R) parameters using yours approach (large chamber of around 50L and short horn length of 1m to 2m ) but never got flat FR as you represent.
One exception is when I make the path difference between the direct radiator and the back horn very short (about 10cm to 50cm for horn of ~1.5m, this means that the horn mouth it forward to the driver), here I can get dead flat response.

Could you draw a first guess of a BLH for FE206ES-R using your design concept?

Thank you,

Hide this!Advertise here!