How low, Fostex 168ez

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How low do you think a pair of Fe168ez will go without struggeling to much in either a closed or br box. I want to use them with a pair of dipole subs that i dont like to get above 80hz. Will that be to low for the 168 and should I instead go for the 8 inch ez and a tweeter or a pair of different subs.

Any ideas are welcome

Well, according to a quick calculation, I reckon you should get flat response down to around 95 Hz in a vented 6 litre enclosure followed by a fourth order roll off. If your subs roll off smoothly from around 80 Hz up, then the results should be acceptable, but it would be less risky to use the 208ez if you want to use this sub, and have a dead flat combined frequency response.
There is always the option to horn load your 168ez, although it's more work and much much bigger!

You can use any sub woofer to fill out the bottom end, but a flat frequency response is more difficult to acheive with most horn speakers.
Perhaps you could build the fostex recommended enclosures for these drivers and see if you like them. (I think you will) Although the frequency response is a little uneven, room acoustics generally mess up a perfectly flat response anyway, which is why flat response is fairly low on my priority list when designing a speaker.
I built quite large horns for my FE166E's and don't feel the need for a sub at all, but other people won't go without a sub.
You can take a look at my cabinets if your interested at planet 10's site in the 'free plans' section to get an idea of the size. There's lots of good stuff on this site to check out. www.planet10-hifi.com (mine are the 'dalek' horns).
Hope this is of some use to your research.

Amen to that. The Fostex enclosures are excellent in my view -no, not perfect, but very good. Bob -I'm going to give those Darlek horns a shot in the new year (providing they'll fit!) as I love the look of them, and the new series of Dr Who is coming on TV soon should proide the perfect excuse... ;-)

Alternatively, Terry Cain's big folded tractrix(?) horn, known as his 'Bigger Is Better TQWT' is a good option, provided you've got the corners or at least a rear wall to load it. (also a Fostex Factory design geometry I believe). That'll give you 30Hz in room, no problem. Oh -and I'd suggest dipole woofers every time, unless you want to put them into corners, in which case, sealed is the better way forward.

Best
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.