newb center channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well i am in need of a better center channel and im currently doing the hole diy projector thing ... so i started looking around at other diy stuff and since i need a center channel i figured why not. now this will be my first attempt at building a speaker... so anyone have any suggestions for a relitively cheap design ? like under $100 ? and is that a decent goal for a center channel ? right now im useing a center channel from a small polk mini sorround system its got 2 x 2inch drivers and a tweet. it just isnt good enough for me when i start playing movies ...

A single CSS FR125 in the recommended vented or sealed box, with no crossover is my recommendation. Sit it on top/below your TV, perfectly flush. Its very simple, inexpensive, no crossover to build, easy box, and you will get a great result. I am using a WR125 right now and it is an excellent center channel - dialogue is very clear and locked to the screen when I move around the room.

Yup I think Acoustic visions is a good source if you're in the US, for more info on the driver and applications check out www.creativesound.ca, they designed the driver and have lots of possible projects, measurements and application notes. If you want any info on my center channel, just send me a PM and I can send you the dimensions etc. I really think this is a good way to get youre 'feet wet' in DIY, I doubt you could pick a better bang for your buck project.

Just as an FYI, the FR will want to be set to small in the receiver's setup, and the XO should be at least 80hz, 100hz is probably ideal if you don't want to worry about overdriving it at high levels. I cross at 100hz right now and have never managed to overstress it yet.

v1d9uy said:
would i gain much running 2 of them ?

Then you have to worry about lobing/interference issues off axis. In other words, anybody sitting off to the sides would tend to lose the top end. You generally only want a single driver to handle the upper frequencies. If you want "more", you'd probably want to add a woofer or woofers instead of another full range, but then you get into crossover design and suddenly your project isn't so simple any more :)

planet10 said:

Only if you put it on the back -- no bafflestep, greater bass capability (not lower just more), and active force cancellation.

dave

planet10, couldn't you put the 0.5 woofer on the front and still achieve the same result (without the force cancellation, of course)?

EDIT: OK, I see you have not specifically mentioned the use of the 2nd driver for BSC-only. If it were run full-range, I'd put it at the back, also. :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
coolkhoa said:
couldn't you put the 0.5 woofer on the front and still achieve the same result (without the force cancellation, of course)?

Force cancellation is only one thing you lose by moving it to the front. You no longer have perfect BSC, and you gain some phase canllation in the octave or so above its roll off point.

Another thread has an ongoing discussion on this:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70160

dave

the only reason i asked about a second speaker is i want a nice center channel on a budget i watch ALOT of movies and i was useing a crapy lil polk from a mini sorround system and it was just way to small so i took one of my surround speakers a boston cr-85 and im useing it as a center channel .. and it is much better i took 2 of the small polk surrounds and used them as rear surrounds and the one bostom for the center ... the boston works alot better but id rather be useing them as my surrounds again and build a center now im really new at the speaker building and figured just one speaker like that wouldnt be enough .... so i figure if i just used 2 ... that it would be louder but as you pointed out ... that i still dont really understand *newb* but im sure youre right ... so since i dont really understand the alot of this would anyone care to pickout a nice set of speaker for a center channel ?
i see you all seemed to like the CSS FR125 what would i do if i wanted more ? maybe im wrong but just that one speaker dosnt seem to be enough to me anyways

you really don't want to use 2 running fullrange on the front of the speaker, unless you use 1 on the front, 1 on the back, and have the speaker out at least 2-3 feet from the back wall (bipole).

One option if you wanted 'more' would be to set the xo in your reciever higher... in my setup, if I set the xo frequency to 100hz, I have plenty of headroom, if I were to set it to 120 or 150, I would have pretty much unlimited volume capability. What do you set your xo frequency at now?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.