FR125S Measurements and Filters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vikash:

In my experience most published curves include 1/3 octave smoothing . . .

By the way, I do my designs with Speaker Workshop too. Pretty good software so long as you have the Wallin Jig 2 built! You know there are some averaged mic .frd files you can load up into SW if you are using that Panasonic electret in your microphone . . . If you had yours professionally calibrated, then that's even better!

Andrew

Vikash,

Most published raw-driver curves are 1/3 to 1/6th octave smoothed. If it's for marketing purposes of a finished speaker, 1 octave is good (along with a 60 dB graph...:)).

I like to use 1/6th octave for midrange (500-3000 Hz), and use 1/3rd octave elsewhere. It tends to approximate how your ear/hearing sensitivity works, too... If I have to choose, 1/3rd octave is my preference, as it's hard to correct for FR anomalies finer than that with nearly any passive crossover, or even most active EQ/crossover solutions.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio®

planet10 said:

Not the scanspeak one, but have tried aperiodic... the scanspeak vent is easily bettered with 2 pieces of ran-gutter mesh 7 some fiberglass insulation -- i prefer a long skinny vent to a big round one.

dave

How did that go Dave? I've been eyeing the very small aperiodic box on your site's box library for desktop nearfield purposes, but was hoping someone would build it (or something similar) first and report back since I don't have any measuring equipment to do a decent job of tweaking.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
HeatMiser said:
How did that go Dave? I've been eyeing the very small aperiodic box on your site's box library for desktop nearfield purposes, but was hoping someone would build it (or something similar) first and report back since I don't have any measuring equipment to do a decent job of tweaking.

We haven't built that one... all our instances were vented boxes (minoO) or ML-TLs were there was too much bass for the room. Aperiodic thay work great.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The box is a bit small to get an alignment i like the looks of (given factory specs). It looks like tuned to 54 Hz with a bit of resistance in the port should give fairly flat to 50 Hz (without the stuffing there is a 1 dB peak at about 100 Hz (but you may like that). I did the sim at 8.75 litre.

What is a standard port D in GB?

dave

Attachments

• fr125-8750ml-sim.gif
    fr125-8750ml-sim.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 603
I did a few sims with WinISD Pro, and with CSS's T/S-parameters a 55Hz tuning seems to give the best responce in a 8,75l enclosure. However with HobbyHifi's measured T/S I'm getting a +5dB peak at 70Hz with 55Hz tuning. If the tuning is lowered to 35Hz the peak disappears, but the responce is not smooth and group delay is quite high at the lower frequencies.

Basically I've always thought that drivers with high Qts should not be placed in vented enclosures.

So, I suppose, if your box is large enough, the higher Vas won't be too much of an issue. You'll just have to tune the port lower to match the lower Fs to get rid of the hump.

That is supposing the Hobby Hifi specs are correct.

My box, by the way, is a folded, mass-loaded Voight of sorts. Kind of unusual in that the drivers are near the large end (top) and the port (firing at the floor) is halfway along the line, at the fold.

L=69.5"
Zdriver=4"
Zport=35"
So=56.16sq"
Sl=2.5sq"
density 3.5lb/cuft
Rport=1"
Lport=2.5"

I'll report back when I finally get these things done. Hopefully this week some time.

Max

Vikash said:

This may be of interest. Also read Dan Wiggins' post further down in that thread.

I may just make a mock carboard cabinet tuned to 54Hz and see what the measured FR is.

...further down in that thread I had posted the HobbyHifi and Klang+Ton TSPs

Both are very well respected DIY mags here in Germany, but...
I have the FR125Ss playing in a 12L sealed cabinet, I can't measure them, but I doubt that the f3 is somewhere between 50 and 55 Hz (see the simulation below), from what I'm hearing the f3 is more like in the 70 - 80 Hz area.

I will start experimenting with ports for the 12L enclosure in the next days.

Attachments

• fr125s-s_kt.jpg
    fr125s-s_kt.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 678
Enclosures and Notch

Hi,

I made some measurements on Saturday with a customers reflex cab. So far: 14 liters or 0.5 cu.ft reflex was great (with a 2" port, 4" long).

Notch 1: 0.39mh / 44uF (2x 22) / 12 ohms --> this is for the 1500Hz region

Notch 2: 0.1mh / 4.7uF --> this is for the 7000Hz peak

Now the curve looks good within +/- 2 or 3dB

Regards
Thorsten

P.S. We used the measured parameters of German DIY magazines "HobbyHifi" and "Klang+Ton" (intersection of both results)

Tsp

To get the plot out of my measurement prog will take a while. Here are the TSP of "Hobby Hifi" (Klang + Ton was very close):

FR125S
Fs: 44,8 Hz
Qms: 3,6
Qes: 0,66
Qts: 0,56
Vas: 8,7 L
Cms: 2,4 mm/N
Rms: 0,41 kg/s
Sd: 50 qcm
Xmax: 6mm
Re: 7,1 Ohms
Le: 0,39 mH
BL: 4 N/A
Mms: 5,3 grams

WR125S
Fs: 59,8 Hz
Qms: 5,7
Qes: 0,96
Qts: 0,62
Cms: 1,6 mm/N
Rms: 0,29 kg/s
Vas: 5,8L
Re: 7,2 Ohms
Le: 0,71 mH
BL: 4,1 N/A
Mms: 4,4grams

WR125ST
Fs: 67,8 Hz
Qms: 5,7
Qes: 0,89
Qts: 0,77
Vas: 4,4 L
Cms: 1,3 mm/N
Rms: 0,31 kg/s
Re: 16,2 Ohms
Le: 1,22 mH
BL: 5,7 N/A
Mms: 4,2 grams

I can't scan the whole article due to copyright laws, sorry!

Regards
Thorsten

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.