BG fullrange driver Ether 6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Impressed with ETHER products !

Hello,

I reviewed this thread and I'm really impressed by your work !

Those horns look gorgeous and the driver are georgeous too !

To react to previous comment in this thread, in my opinion a hand-made or small series item has much more charm and appeal than an industrial item from a big brand.

Do you think your horn will work for lowther too ?

Thanks !

Guillaume

:rofl:

Attachments

• 011918965.jpg
    011918965.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 939
Weird scaling is just a dream IMHO!
It isn't described the way it is derived and with what...

Non Existing Driver Projects (Very Slicky, Hey :-D):
:-D :-D :-D
Take a Look::smash: :smash: :smash:

kongi.jpg

sony_yamaha.sized.jpg

Have Fun and welcome to Europe/Bulgari to see all this live, and to hear these slicky drivers :-D
! :smash: Stupid objections overruled :judge: :-D

I really wonder how those sound as I had this idea of using a drum as an enclosure...

Does it has the color of a conga sound ?
Only for the conga recording?

That would be really nice to have some comments at least...

Ether is generally made by cheap parts available locally from partially abandoned manufacture. The membranes come from a 10 Euro bass drivers and are sold in bulks at the Blagoevgrad speaker manufacturing plant. Now I can't remember whether they were 0.25 Euro per membrane or 0.50 Euro...

The issue with the voice coil former paper that does not make a complete cylinder is for all drivers as far as I know - at least all that have undergone repairs outside their original manufacturer.

No one has ever seen graphs of SPL @ 1 watt @ 1 meter for those drivers, No One has ever seen impedance curves either!

All experienced DIY-ers that have bought Ether have sold it second hand at prices not exceeding 150 Euro per pair! Usually these drivers are sold after an average of one month of ownership!

I have listened to Ethers too... They are not what you would call crap! No, not at all! But they are far away from anything that has something to do with Hi-End!

The membrane just sounds dead! All the sounds are coming from the enormous whizzler cone, there are no real high frequencies above say 13-14 khz. Some of the cymbals are reproduced nicely tho. Between 200 hz and 10 khz there are allot dips and peaks which in the words of their creators is explained as revealing - naturally one will hear things that were not intended to be heard when there is a peak at that frequency! Voices sound muddy and non understandable... what else to say? It's needless!

This http://www.vissokogovoriteli.plc.bg/products/VE-1523B4_8.htm speaker costs under 15 Euro! And does everything better than Ether! It's actually doing it all frighteningly well! The bass is the same or better at equal levels, but the guitars and the voices are really beautiful! The cymbals in the upper part (fuss) are not convincive, but pair them to that: http://www.vissokogovoriteli.plc.bg/products/VV-104-01_108-01_1015-01_B.htm and the sound gets really beautifull for 50 euro worth of drivers for a set of stereo speakers!

And the prices :whacko::whacko::whacko: what a laugh! How on earth someone can ask that prices for a whizzler cone with serving aggregates?!?
I must point that the claim for 20% VAT is the top of the impudence so far! Here the prices are 900 euro per driver (1800 per pair) and no VAT is mentioned! What are they trying to say?!? 2160 Euro without customs taxes and transport? - give me a break! 3000 dollars for that?!?
And the chassis - one of the most closed ones that I have ever seen!
And their horns with small compression chamber and a straight undamped wall behind the driver?!? Even I know that perpendicular undamped walls near the back of the driver bother the sound allot!

In Bulgaria they have their own forum :whacko: it's full of threads where some 10-20 people hail their products - those are their closest relatives and friends :D
All of the Bulgarian DIY-ers are banned from that forum me includingly :D There they post some spiritual experiences with Ether - some people are reported to have cried after the listening and others didn't find their way home out of confusion from the encounter with the dimensions of sound and the unthinkable revelation :whacko: :eek:

When I have time I will make an effort to translate some such postings in their forum :D

Have in mind that all the people that can tell the same things as me are not manufacturers of speakers and are not close friends with such!

Now I'm very amazed that the Ether hysteria have come that far to bother that forum! I came here in order to be as far as possible from that people!
Because I spent 1000++ Euro last summer following the advices of the other fighting group (we have two DIY forums - one of the Ether Guys and one of the non Ether guys - they are both after the users money) and the result was tragic! - I still crop and extract capacitors and silver wire from those speakers :whacko:
Here I spent 500 Euro on MJK's project and got my self the perfect speakers!

Please keep Bulgarian DIY - gurus away from me! :whacko:

Last edited:

Attachments

• 484575_10151077971477375_34863096_n.jpg
    484575_10151077971477375_34863096_n.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 735
  • 375743_10151064860047375_450412877_n.jpg
    375743_10151064860047375_450412877_n.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 723
  • 12324_388382422374_6158790_n.jpg
    12324_388382422374_6158790_n.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 744
  • 12324_388382407374_1156604_n.jpg
    12324_388382407374_1156604_n.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 749
  • 12324_388382397374_2423903_n.jpg
    12324_388382397374_2423903_n.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 804
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 190
Etheraudio on Sofia Hi-fi Expo 2012

Some pictures of Hi-Fi Expo 2012 (23rd-25th Nov.)

Etheraudio system:

Fully modded Sony CD player (only transport left, everything else was changed)
Magic 20 - GM-70 SE Amp (20 watts per channel).
Original Etheraudio Grid EMC filter (inductively coupled to the grid).
Little 37 and Normal 28 - BL Horn Loudspeakers with Ether 7.1 full range drivers.

During the expo we could compare the sound of system with
other famous audio systems (such as MBL for example):

Attachments

• DSC02122cr.jpg
    DSC02122cr.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_8187cr.jpg
    DSC_8187cr.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_8146cr.jpg
    DSC_8146cr.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 188
Because last time when I posted I had no time to go into details,
and because of these negative posts by some of my compatriots (shame on you, guys!) in last 2-3 years,
let's continue now with some comparison (and because the thread is for full range drivers,
we'll talk only for Ether driver, not for cabinet design, amplifiers, cables, players and other things...)

Too many people gave (here) their negative opinion regarding this driver even without any impression, based on true facts or arguments.
Shame on you, guys (once again)!
Most of you have never seen this driver, you've seen only SPL characteristics, right?
And this is enough to say "this is very expensive ordinary driver, made from some very cheap materials".
Really? I don't think so.
Only alnico magnet weights several kilograms and according information in wikipedia, citation:

"As of 2008, Alnico magnets cost about $44/kg ($20/pound) or $4.30/BHmax."

for sure it is not a driver for pennies!

Because (according opinion of my compatriots), Ether is not so famous,
let's take a look at Lowther, some of the best sounding full range drivers (and most expensive also):

PM2A SPL:

7.gif

Silence? Nothing disturbing? £686.40 (per unit) for such peaks and drops?

Let's try once again (Lowther DX2, DX3, DX4, respectively £333.60, £478.80, £668.40 per unit):

Dx234_1c.jpg

and once again (PM4, £993.60 per unit):

arx1355077904x.jpg

Only DX4:

8.gif

What a peak at 7-10KHz, right? Shame on you, Lowther guys!
What is this?... and what's a price!

Lets take a look inside PM6...

arx1355077436p.JPG

rgh1355077639m.jpg

A piece of notebook sheet used in a speaker for £452.40?
Shame on you (once again), Lowther guys!

Of course it is some king of irony against those people, who saw this picture (Ether7 SPL):

Frequency-response.jpg

and they said "no, it's not good, there is a peak at 10KHz!"

So, despite of information (in graphics above), I've never heard or read something bad for Lowther.
It's a legend and one of best sounding full range drivers in general.
Despite of peaks, drops, note books inside and so on.
It's not some kind of bullsh*t, on the contrary, it is an institution in High End audio.

About Ether speakers...
Last several years I'm listening only negatives from people, who have never even seen this driver!
It is a Bulgarian driver with extremely good performance, something fully comparable even with such legend as Lowther.
And we (bulgarians) have to be proud of this fact.

P.S.
For nonbelievers our doors are fully open. Always.

Last edited:
Of course he is kidding.

These Lowthers are owned by a member of their forum. There was a thread about the restoration.

From the artefacts of the inside of the whizzer I can narrow the soldering solution to about two suspects available locally, one is Bulgarian made and the other Turkish with greater lead content. The post factory intervention is evident from the colophon marks.

Why would a novice fullrange manufacturer always put out a knife to Lowther? :spin::scratch2::smash::Popworm::deerman::trapper::rofl::rofl::rofl:

What about a try on Jordan, TB or Dayton?

Mmmmm, let me think... Is it because those have extensive published data? How are you going to match the available data for a Visaton B200?
No way, that is how!

And please stop with those pathetic attempts on god knows what! You are embarrassing our country as one giving birth to retarded people with bad English hailing to Lowther!
No! We have acoustic engineers 3 or 4 speaker manufacturing plants (BMS being one of them), anechoic chamber in almost every of the 28 district cities, four at the capital Sofia. We have several renowned concert halls one of them being Hall - 1 of the National Culture Palace formerly used as a recording studio by world labels such as Sony.

So, we are not the primitive creatures you present!

What a shameless crowing thing should one be, to present Diyaudio with a photo of a messed up with solder Lowther whizzer cone? And to deduct arguments in favour of certain "competing" product from this?

Lowther is the best or a reference benchmark since when?

And when are you going to at least buy a Clio? The go about 300-400$ second hand locally calibrated microphone included!

Best regards!

Last edited:
Hello and Happy New Year! (a week later still counts right? ;)

Looks like this thread has been somewhat revived, unfortunately post-revival it appears to be heading down a pretty nonconstructive path…

I never expected that my first post would be in here, but I just could not stand idly by…

Just to clear the air, a quick disclosure on my part:

I am in no way affiliated with Etheraudio nor do I have any interest in the company. I do however own a number of their products, including:

1. A pair of Ether 6A drivers
2. A “Blue Pill” tube amp (purchased in kit form and upgraded)
3. A power filter/conditioner (kit form)
4. Speaker cabling (copper unfortunately)
5. Interconnect cabling

I am a member, and participate, in the two main local audio forums.

Everything, apart from the Ethers, is DIY (based on Etheraudio schematics).

I love the way my “system” sounds!

Haven gotten that out of the way, I can honestly say that I absolutely love my 6A drivers! I don’t claim to be an “experienced” DIY-er nor can I describe myself as an “experienced listener” (proper word may be audiophile maybe?), but to me the drivers sound damn good! I’ve had the pleasure to listen to other 6A drivers, as well as some 7.2s, driven by tube amps and in enclosures far superior to mine, and they sounded…. well due to my pretty poor audiophile vocabulary…bloody amazing!

Are they “the best fullrange” around (pretty subjective to be fair)? Perhaps, perhaps not… I really don’t feel qualified to judge, but then again I don’t think anyone is making such a definitive claim either. Now, am I satisfied with them? See above :)

I am currently in the process of constructing (with help ;) a pair of General Purpose (few pages back) horns for them as they are currently in a pair of small “horns” (similar to those posted previously). To be fair, I doubt the General Purpose will be their final home, but for now that’s what I can accommodate… trying to convince a friend with a pair of 206En (with some planet10 mods) to let me try the Ethers in his Kirishima cabinets (have to alter the cabinets a bit)…very curious as to what the results will be…

Will write if we ever get around to it, more likely we will try his drivers in one of my cabinets, should still be interesting ;)

I have also had the opportunity to witness the amount of research, work and attention to detail that goes into the production of the Etheraudio’s products and I can assure you that they far from what can be described as “something thrown together with a handful of cheap components”. While the chassis of the Ethers do indeed come from BG made speakers, from what I’ve seen that’s where the similarities pretty much cease.

T101, take it easy on the flaming please

Dear T101, my fellow compatriot,

First, I would like to kindly ask you to share with us what are the drivers that you listen to in your personal reference system?

I am pretty annoyed by your hater-ish attitude. Judging by how much effort and energy you put in trashing the Ether drivers, I can only assume you simply had a bitter personal (and unrelated to the drivers) experience with some of the Ether Audio members. I have been told some and particularly one of them that i haven't met is pretty hot tempered. :)

Though I'm part of the Fostex clan, I have had a chance to have a quite a number of listening sessions to Ether 3, 6 and 7. The early Ether series, as their designer states, are rather experimental series. Ether 3 sounds good, but it doesn't really shine. It simply doesn't carry any "wow" factor. With Ether 6 and especially 7 though, which was a special edition with a silver coil that I had a chance to listen at a friend, things get serious.

Ether 6 & 7 sound pretty good and in my opinion they are worth the asking price. Period. They have tremendous leading edge and fade and remain composed when you turn the amp volume up to a point where many other drivers start to experience cone brake up. However, the way sound may not be to everyone's taste. They sound totally different to my favorite Fostex FE208 Sigma (not "E" sigma), in the same way that the Sigma sounds totally different to Coral Beta 8. Please do not confuse the SPL balance over the frequency band with the definition of the sound it produces. For example, some of the cheap Visaton drivers have pretty flat SPL and indeed when listened to they have a pretty good balance, however they certainly don't have what I would call a high definition sound, they seriously "smear" the sounds.

Some drivers have slightly elevated SPL response at certain frequency range(s). A really good example is the Lowthers drivers. Haven't you considered that may be intentional. It's how their designers wanted them to sound. That gives them specific character that is the mark of the brand. To people who love the Ehters they sound emotional and these same people would scratch off the 208 sigma as having a "dry" sound. Again, it's a matter of personal preference.

Also, my personal and to an extent subjective opinion is that the Ether produces "thick" and "heavy" sound in the lower mid frequencies and that's why I suppose it sound pretty well even in a severely compromised back loaded horn. I'd assume that's probably due to the fact its parameters are a pretty good fit for a tapered transmission line.

The Ether audio dudes are hip people and quite the oddballs. Amazingly they're totally dedicated to their pursuit of the ultimate sound (whatever that is) and I have to give them the due respect for that. The downside is, they don't seem to have an, idea how make a business out of the jewel they have, their products are used by a handful of people (and not only in Bulgaria) and so what they create remains unappreciated and therefore they're easy to bash. And I would dare draw the assumption that unhappy people like you armed with a verbal flame-thrower simply had a bitter experience with some of the Ether Audio guys, because based on my limited experience with them they remind me a lot of Steve Jobs, creative and ingenious with misunderstood grumpiness, just without the business skill set.

So please, keep the flaming within the realm of a constructive discussion. The only person that is embarrassing himself here is you. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, including yourself.

...and btw, if you can arrange for me a 150EUR Ether 6, I'll buy it right away. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.