Sealed box excusion (featuring Hemp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been thinking awhile about how best to use my hemp drivers. They're still in the test boxes I was using when I made my first posts. The current enclosures are 50L tuned to (about) 42hz. This certainly doesn't acheive all the bass they are capable of, but the low port tuning seems to surpress any mid bass hump. I assume the lower port contribution also lowers group delay, and the driver unloads at a lower frequency.

I was reading about Doc Bottlehead's SEXY speakers, at:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=bottlehead&n=98239&highlight=sex+speaker&r=&session=

He claims to be lowering the distortion of an FE166E considerably (compared to a BR) by using a small sealed box (with stereo subs.) I wonder if such a solution wouldn't work for me with the hemps. I like the idea of a 28L sealed box (Q: .81). I assume any hump wouldn't be to noticable as I'm not currently using any BSC.

I'm having a hard time finding much info about about sealed box excursion. Does it fall with frequency response below the corner frequency? Is that due to damping by the compliance of the enclosures volume? I know this is a stupid question, but I want to be sure. Also, I'm fairly new to subwoofers, and I don't have anything I can crossover in the 80's, like I would need to with the sealed box. Will I be able to localize a single sub at that frequency?

I like the idea of the little sealed box as little mains would please the wife. (She has to live with a sub either way.) I also like the idea of limiting excursion. Little boxes are far easier to eliminate resonances in, and of course there are no delay, resonance, or noise issues like there are with a port.

Happy Holidays,

Paul
p.s. my hemps are a little different than the published specs: Qts .397, Fs 46, Vas 89.9

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.