2x fullrange in parallel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You'd have to either roll one off circa 1Khz or run bipolar, unless you're thinking of 2" or 3" drivers. Larger driver sizes, if both are mounted on the front panel (or wherever) will put the centre of the cones, which reproduce the treble too far apart resulting in lobing -the bane of badly designed line-arrays.

Best
Scott

Here's a fine example:

Zu Definition
2*10" + super tweeter (+4*10" bass drivers)

http://www.zucable.com/definition/index.html

Specs:
http://www.zucable.com/definition/specifications.html

Review:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu2/definition.html

face.jpg

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
hi XT8510

to answer your question
Just wondering if any of you has any experience using 2 fullrange units in parallel?

i have used two full ranges on open baffle, lowthers dx3, however, i made it real true open baffle, with one pointing to the front, one to the back, so there is exactly the same information radiated both directions, offcourse wired in oposite polarity to be in phase, in this case, you not only have higher power handling, less excursion, but most importantly, you have only one point source, the other benefit is that it needs less equalization in this arangement, the other benefit is less distortion, since distortion of one cone is eliminated with distiortion of the other (oposite polarity), its similar like cone to cone arragement in isobaric....

anyway, see my page for more details
ed

thanks

Thanks for all the info!

I was thinking of using 2 Fostex FE103E in a TL or BLH enclosure.
To see if I can get a little more bass from these small drivers.

Don't get me wrong I mean the driver is pretty impressive when mounted in a good enclsure but I am thinking of finding a way to get even better performance out of them.

Or if any of you have even better driver suggestions,

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
don't want to disappoint you XT, but you will never achieve real bass out of full range drivers no matter what....no TL goes that deep, no matter how big the BLH, its just magnification what is not there at first place

besides, overdriving the full range with low frequencies just muddies the midrange and increases the distortion

if you want great sound and great bass out of full range, go basszilla way...
http://www.blackdahlia.com/html/tip_45.html

or zu looks interesting too....

i myself found tweeter unnecassary with lowthers

good luck!

Clearly you've never heard my Terry Cain inspired BIB TQWTs with Fostex FF165Ks in them. Depends on what you call 'real bass' of course, but with an F3 circa 30Hz in-room, and a usable 25Hz, that's fine as far as I'm concerned. ;) These things thunder. And I have no complaints about the midrange either. That's the best (if not the most amazing, as that sort of bass from a 6 1/2" driver is rare) bit abut them. Like liquid, and not exacly lacking in detail either.

Cheers
Scott

Scottmoose said:
Hmm, impressive. I'd like to know how they've succeeded in eliminating the lobing problems inevitable with running 2, 10" full-range units, full-range. Line arrays need their mids and tweeters packed tightly together for just this reason. That could be a trick worth knowing.

Scott

They probably didn't.. instead just using them up to the point where the freq. response developed a severe notch with the supertweeter and horn loading exteding from there..

some people are extremely sensetive to this, others are not. I personally couldn't stand listening to Dunlavy's speakers because of this - but it wasn't a freq. response artifact I was having problems with, rather it was "enhanced" (and artificial) directivity in the vertical response.

Notice the "unsmoothed" response on this line array - it isn't really bad until 18 kHz (though they are only 2" drivers:

http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/Kuze3201/Kuze3201.html.

Kensai said:
Those Zu260 drivers look like just what I've been looking for. Assuming one could talk Zu into selling a pair raw, what do you think . . . $500 . . . $1000 a pair? I'm cheap though, so for those prices, I should get "wonderful" right out of the box, without having to make any sawdust.

Kensai

This is just a modified Eminence Legend B102.

Re: thanks

XT8510 said:
Thanks for all the info!

I was thinking of using 2 Fostex FE103E in a TL or BLH enclosure.
To see if I can get a little more bass from these small drivers.

Don't get me wrong I mean the driver is pretty impressive when mounted in a good enclsure but I am thinking of finding a way to get even better performance out of them.

Or if any of you have even better driver suggestions,

If you don't already have the 103's in hand, you could consider the FE127e in bipole. The drivers are only slightly larger than the 103s, and still have the Fostex FR midrange magic.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=590059#post590059

Of course they don't have super-sized bottom end, but are a very easy listen, and a pretty easy box to build as well.

ScottG said:

This is just a modified Eminence Legend B102.

Druid sounds phenomenal. It's not a perfect speaker but it plays music better than any other speaker I have heard (including Jordan TL and MLTL, Fostex, Visaton, Tangband, Phy-Hp). On the other hand some people don't like it at all...

One thing which is awesome about this whizzer cone driver is that it really doesn't sound like a whizzer cone driver like other whizzer cone drivers do. The Zu phase plug must be the reason for this?

ScottG,

Thank you for pointing that out. I'd not actually seen the B102s listed anywhere before for some reason, but a direct search at PE brought them right up. They list for only $100 (though I don't know the PE price just yet as I have no access to my email here, damned WebSense).

Stock as they are, I can get close to what I can get close to what I'm looking for with two issues. 1) it has a very low Qts, so its going to really need an enclosure to reach its bass potential and 2) I'm going to need more high end to get close enough to full range for my needs.

I'm most interested in OB, so I just don't think these things will work even as well as the Kenwood bicones I'm using now, probably lucky if I could get the rated 45Hz bottom end with a severely attenuated top end (relatively, of course). I have super flexible active EQ that I could use which might get me just enough high end to fill my hearing (I'm only good to about 16Khz these days, unless you count the weird band up around 22Khz that I can hear, for whatever reason), but I'm going to doubt that trying to EQ in any bottom end in OB is going to do anything other than make them sound bad.

So, I also have a use for them where a small sealed enclosure would be useable. Any idea what volume would be ideal for these things? Also, is the key to mechanically extending the upper end all in the phase plug Zu is using? Is that something I could mimic on my own? Is the phase plug riding the cone or is the cone sliding around the plug (the only phase plug drivers I've ever seen up close were from Logitech computer speakers where the plug sat in a hole in the cone; no really up to speed on the technicalities of phase plug use). Might some combination of active EQ, enclosure and relatively simple mechanical modification get me 40-12000 (or better) out of a pair of these?

Thanks,
Kensai

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Kensai said:
Also, is the key to mechanically extending the upper end all in the phase plug Zu is using? Is that something I could mimic on my own? Is the phase plug riding the cone or is the cone sliding around the plug

The phase plug is certainly part of the equation*. They really seem to help whizzer cone drivers.

*(another part is that to add them you lose the dustcap -- the pp sits sationary on the pole-piece)

Here is a comment i just got from a fellow who just installed plugs on his 206s:

I received the phase plugs Monday evening and got them in after some very nervous cutting of the dust cap! I had hoped that I might hear some difference but was quite surprized to hear a much smoother sound through the high's and mid's! The harshness in the human voice range has smoothed out too. I cant believe fostex doesnt build the 206 with the phase plug already in it!

So far my experience is that this comment is applicable to way more than just the FE206. We did make some MONSTER plugs for some Emminence Beta 12LTA....

dave

Our early experience with Radio Shack drivers and recycled foster drivers gave us the "Guts" to try new model drivers. I remember when I first took the razor to the my FE167e drivers. I was scared silly. After I tried a few different shapes and lengths I was happy and convinced. We have had a few challenges with some drivers like the FE127 but as Dave indicates most drivers respond well to the treatment.
I hope you like the plugs. I really like the way the Yellow Cedar blens with the colour of the banna pulp of the Fostex drivers.

I hope this was not too much of a commercial plug.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.