CSS FR125 open baffle test (2mb film)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CSS FR125 open baffle test

I was pretty amazed at how much bass this little driver produces in an open baffle (and so was my son as you can hear early on in the film :) )

http://basaudio.net/diyhosting/myown/diyaudio/CSSFR125/cssfr125_openbaffle.wmv

2mb file.

And no..there was no subwoofer somewhere in the room :D

Source..computer soundcard playing an mp3.
Amplifier Ladyday 8 Watt SE amp..

Whoa, having never heard

a) Decent full range drivers (I've only played with cheapy ones)

b) SET amps

I have mental "images" of full range drivers in open baffles producing no bass at all, and badly rolled of treble, and I have a similar mental "image" of SE amps hardly able to go loud enough and producing no bass. That video proved everything wrong! I'm amazed!

I've built these in the miniOnken box. They are very good sounding. I like them very much, but I would not use them without a subwoofer. With my Tempest they sound wonderful in my setup.
In my experience I find most speakers can do with a good subwoofer. There is bass and then there is........ bass.

I too am listening to the CSS FR125S in open baffles. First for a few weeks with a 20 watt/ch, then a 40 watt/ch gainclone and Channel Islands VMB-1 chip amp, then a Sonic Impact 8 watt/ch, then a Wright Sound 3.5 2a3 SET. Between the 40 watt chip amp and the 2a3 (3.5 watt/ch) SET, the potential gain was about the same (except the sonic impact was weakest). I just do not have any bigger amps around. These days I most like the Wright Sound with the FR125S open baffled.

This setup also in a small room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.