New version of Martin King's MathCad Worksheets is coming soon! - Page 22 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd March 2006, 08:12 PM   #211
diyAudio Member

Hello,

is it possible to simulate aperiodic cabinets with the worksheets now available?

thanks, martin
Old 24th March 2006, 02:04 AM   #212
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Hello Bostjan,

Thanks for the positive feedback.

Quote:
Is there a posibility to simulate JENSEN TRANSFLEX enclosure with combination of several worksheets. I've tried this with offset driver WS but I don't know if I understand adding and substracting dbs very well.
To be honest, I do not know what a JENSEN TRANSFLEX enclosure looks like, based on the name alone it sounds complicated. If you have a picture or drawing I might be able to provide a few hints, if you post it here I am sure others might also chime in. You probably should start a new thread.

Quote:
Sorry for my English
No apologies needed, your English is just fine.

Quote:
(I think much faster than I am able to type in English)
Me to.
Old 24th March 2006, 02:10 AM   #213

Hi lovechild,

Quote:
is it possible to simulate aperiodic cabinets with the worksheets now available?
You probably can simulate an aperiodic enclosure in MathCad. My guess would be to use a port length equal to the wall thinkness of the enclosure and specify 1 lb/ft^3 of fiber stuffing. You can't go higher then 1 lb/ft^3 or the curve fit goes unstable and your results will get really weird. Then you would need to vary the diameter of the port until you achieve an aperiodic response typical of whatever venting arrangement you are using. The port diameter would have no physical relationship with the real vent size and is kind of an answer after the fact. But I think that this would work and maybe you could apply what you learn to other designs using the same damped vent arrangement.
Old 24th March 2006, 08:42 AM   #214
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJK
Hi lovechild,

You probably can simulate an aperiodic enclosure in MathCad. My guess would be to use a port length equal to the wall thinkness of the enclosure and specify 1 lb/ft^3 of fiber stuffing. You can't go higher then 1 lb/ft^3 or the curve fit goes unstable and your results will get really weird. Then you would need to vary the diameter of the port until you achieve an aperiodic response typical of whatever venting arrangement you are using. The port diameter would have no physical relationship with the real vent size and is kind of an answer after the fact. But I think that this would work and maybe you could apply what you learn to other designs using the same damped vent arrangement.
What if the port is not round but rather a long rectangle like one of the Thiel CS1.6 speakers, is there any way to simulate that? Can you simulate an enclosure with two ports?
Old 24th March 2006, 11:43 AM   #215

Quote:
What if the port is not round but rather a long rectangle like one of the Thiel CS1.6 speakers, is there any way to simulate that? Can you simulate an enclosure with two ports?
Not at this time in Ported Box. The closest you can get would be to edit TL Sections and attempt to model the geometry, TL Sections has a rectangular opening.

I don't have any worksheets with dual ports.
Old 24th March 2006, 12:51 PM   #216
diyAudio Member

Martin, thanks for explaining!

regarding the rectangular openening I once had copied a post in another forum, I unfortunately I can't find the link anymore. That's what was said:

Quote:
If you want to model aperiodic enclosures, his worksheets are EXCELLENT for that effort.
If you have a highly tapered TL, 12:1 for example, and stuff it, you will have an aperiodic enclosure more than a TL. His worksheets also accomodate stuffed, vented enclosures as well.
Old 26th March 2006, 08:40 PM   #217
e-star is offline e-star  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Default jensen transflex

Quote:
To be honest, I do not know what a JENSEN TRANSFLEX enclosure looks like, based on the name alone it sounds complicated. If you have a picture or drawing I might be able to provide a few hints, if you post it here I am sure others might also chime in. You probably should start a new thread.

Jensen Transflex is a transmision line enclosure but the driver is enclosed in a enclosure. I will start a new thread in a subwoofer forum if there is any posibility to simulate this enclosure with worsheets. Here is a picture.

Cheers

Bostjan Skok
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transflex1-1.jpg (95.6 KB, 544 views)
Old 26th March 2006, 09:47 PM   #218
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

I bet Tom Danley wouldn't be too pleased to see it made public.

GM
Old 26th March 2006, 10:37 PM   #219
diyAudio Member

At this rate we'll be trying to sim those madcap JBL Aquarius things from the early 1970s.

Now, there's an idea...
Old 26th March 2006, 11:03 PM   #220
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
I bet Tom Danley wouldn't be too pleased to see it made public.
?

Hide this!Advertise here!