Advice on highest quality full range driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm looking to build a full range system over the New Year holidays. I have been reading this forum and the other one at fullrangespeaker.com and have not been able to work out what would be the highest quality driver for my situation, as follows:

1) Lowest distortion. John Krutke did an excellent job measuring and comparing a number of lower price drivers. I have a pair of Tang-Band W3-871s as a computer speaker, which is a great speaker for the price. However I have not seen a similar comparison for the higher quality / price full range drivers

2) I will be using a sub below 100hz. I don't believe a full range driver can do the top end well and do the bottom end justice, the physics just don't allow it.

3) Happy to spend a couple of hundred dollars per driver to get the best.

4) Prefer a smaller driver, as I want to build bookshelf / small boxes. 3" - 5" preferred.

5) I listen to rock music mostly, however I dont expect this speaker to be driven to high SPLs, and it will be in a medium to large room.

6) Using a class-D amp (Hypex), so speed, dynamics, clarity and soundstage are important.

Any ideas? From what I can work out, the Jordan jx92 is best suited, however I'd be interested in comparisons with other equivalent drivers and what the differences in sound would be between these drivers.

Regards,
Dean

Welcome to the endless search for the highest quality full range driver.

You already state you will be using the speaker mostly for rock - what kind of rock should I imagine? I've read comments that the Jordan is pretty good at voices/jazz, light things...but is messy at orchestra music, so probably won't do that good on the 'heavier kinds of rock' too.

Good luck

Erik

Thanks Erik,

Music is mostly light rock & some instrumental / voices.

I'm interested in subjective observations of differences in voice (tone/timbre), dynamics (speed), clarity (distortion) between the different high end full range drivers, and how they suit for near field and far field listening.

I can look up the objective differences between the drivers in their datasheets :D

Regards,
Dean

Lowther DX55. I do hope you're feeling rich though. If you can find any left, the limited edition Fostex FE166ES-R with its frightening magnet leaves most other things standing.

Cheaper and smaller: Fostex FE108ESigma could be a good bet, still cheaper, the latest version of their FE126E is making major waves at the moment. Providing you can find any that is...
Best
Scott

Interesting that all the drivers recommended are ones that are rated for high dynamics, ie. lightweight cones, fast acceleration, strong magnets etc.

Can anyone comment on the sound differences between the Veravox 5X, Lowther DX55 and Jordan jx92 as these seem to be the shortlist?

Regards,
Dean

Yup. No less a luminary than Nelson Pass himself. Along with a dozen more too. This is from Nelson's First Watt site, and is refering to using power transconductance amplifiers (current-source amps) with full-range drivers, but it has good comparisons using voltage sources with these drivers too. Makes a good read. It might take a few seconds to load up though: it's a 2.5mb page.

Best
Scott

From what I can work out after researching this for a while, for the smaller drivers the ranking for low distortion and decent treble:
1) Lowther DX55
2) Veravox 5X
3) Jordan jx92

The fostex range look good, but not quite in the class of the above drivers.

Next step is to study the enclosures, datasheets and costs to decide on a 4" - 6" driver that can be used for near field listening.

I have not been able to find much on the Veravox 5X, can anyone provide further pointers or experience with this driver?

Regards,
Dean

Hi Dean,

I know that there has been a write-up about veravox 5X in one of the german diy magazines (with measurements, etc...) If you do a search for voravox 5x here, I'm sure you can find some folks who have scanned those pages, so they can send them to you...

Best of luck Martin

deandob said:
From what I can work out after researching this for a while, for the smaller drivers the ranking for low distortion and decent treble:
1) Lowther DX55
2) Veravox 5X
3) Jordan jx92

The fostex range look good, but not quite in the class of the above drivers.

Next step is to study the enclosures, datasheets and costs to decide on a 4" - 6" driver that can be used for near field listening.

I have not been able to find much on the Veravox 5X, can anyone provide further pointers or experience with this driver?

Regards,
Dean

Have you compared the Xmax of these drivers? The amount of volume the drivers can push is very critical for bass punch.

True. Depends what enclosure you want to put them in too of course. For the moment, Nelson Pass' (again!) J-Lo looks to be one of the better DIY bets... providing you can get them through the door and have an understanding Other Half of course...
A monster TQWT like Terry Cain's Bigger Is Better box could also be viable, providing you've got the corners or a rear wall to load it. Although you aren't intending to go lower than 100Hz, you say your room is pretty big, and you want to rock, so this is one case I don't think an MLTL will be appropriate (and from an MLTL-nut like me, that's really saying something) as you'll want to be shifting as much air as possible.
Don't ignore the Lowther's cheaper PM45 and PM55 either. I haven't heard any comments about them, but they look good to me.

Best
Scott

Soongsc.

I agree. The Xmax comparisons are as follows:
DX55: +- 1mm. Wow this is small. Not going to move much air with this excursion.
5X: +- 1mm also. Looks like the 5x uses a similar design philosophy to the DX55.
jx92s: +-4.5mm. This driver will move a lot more air. I wonder if it will sound as dynamic/fast as the other 2, given their lightweight approach to cones which limits the Xmax.

Scott, as I want to build a more compact speaker (monitor), it looks like the Jordan will provide better bass in a smaller box compared to the other two and has a much lower Fo.

Regards,
Dean

deandob said:
Soongsc.

I agree. The Xmax comparisons are as follows:
DX55: +- 1mm. Wow this is small. Not going to move much air with this excursion.
5X: +- 1mm also. Looks like the 5x uses a similar design philosophy to the DX55.
jx92s: +-4.5mm. This driver will move a lot more air. I wonder if it will sound as dynamic/fast as the other 2, given their lightweight approach to cones which limits the Xmax.

Scott, as I want to build a more compact speaker (monitor), it looks like the Jordan will provide better bass in a smaller box compared to the other two and has a much lower Fo.

Regards,
Dean

I'm not familiar with the DX55 and 5X, but if they have a larger cone area, that also needs to be taken into consideration. Some drivers spec their Xmax more conservatively and degrade gradually beyond Xmax. That's why I wish manufacturers could publish more large signal test data instead of just the traditional T/S parameters. The Klippel site provides some good insight in this aspect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.