Advice on highest quality full range driver - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2005, 10:12 AM   #21
deandob is offline deandob  Australia
diyAudio Member

Lithoc,

Not sure a 8" woofer is going to reproduce decent treble. I'm looking for 6.5" and below, and want to build a smaller speaker with a sub.

Another interesting alternative is the Jordan JX53, which has better highs than the JX92 but obviously does not go down as low. The JX53 is being replaced with a new model that has a resonance frequency of 80Hz, so it may also be a candidate to be used with my sub (peerless 8" XLS with linkwitz transform).

I did a quick WinISD on the old JX53 using my tang band W3-871S in a 4L cabinet and the JX53 does slightly better on the bass. However with the preliminary specs on the new JX53 with lower Fo I thought it would go lower but the Q of the new driver is considerably smaller so it wont go down as low as the old driver.

Regards,
Dean
Old 12th December 2005, 10:59 AM   #22
deandob is offline deandob  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default More research on the Jordan JX53

Further investigation for the JX53 driver shows that it may be suited to my setup, as I have an active 100Hz high pass filter that will remove the bass energy from a smaller driver, allowing it to reproduce the treble with less distortion due to bass modulation.

The Jordan web site recommends this driver using a 200Hz high pass filter, however with a subwoofer anything greater than a 100Hz becomes directional. I'm hoping the new JX53 driver will go lower than the current version then it would be an ideal replacement for my tang bands.

Regards,
Dean
Old 12th December 2005, 11:02 AM   #23
sumacSK is offline sumacSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumacSK
Hi,

As I see you want to use those speakers in bigger room for rock music... In this case JX53 won't work well with only sub... I want to second the B200 recommendation. I've read about direct comparison between B200 and JX92 (on decware forum-you can ask barfind) and B200 is said to be overal better (better bass, dinamics, much higher efficiency, also better top end!!! )

Martin
Old 12th December 2005, 12:23 PM   #24
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: More research on the Jordan JX53

Quote:
Originally posted by deandob
The Jordan web site recommends this driver using a 200Hz high pass filter, however with a subwoofer anything greater than a 100Hz becomes directional. I'm hoping the new JX53 driver will go lower than the current version then it would be an ideal replacement for my tang bands.

Regards,
Dean
The replacement for the JX53 will operate to 110Hz in a 4 litre enclosure, 150Hz in a 1 litre sealed box. From a brief listen to an early version last year, it sounded very punchy, much more substantial in the 100-200Hz area than the JX53. Ted says there will be full spec on his website when the units are in the hands of distributors, in the next week or so.
Old 12th December 2005, 02:09 PM   #25
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sumacSK
hi,

here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...ht=#post652252

you can find "almost" direct comparison between JX92S and 5X....

Martin
I kind of question whether that comparison was due to nonoptimized implementation of the JX92 or the definition of "live" is quite different that "live performance". Lots of people like speakers with certain longer decay and resonant characteristics. But then, optimization of full range drivers are kind of tricky directly pluging them into boxes normally do not yeild optimum results.
Old 12th December 2005, 02:18 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sumacSK
Hi,

As I see you want to use those speakers in bigger room for rock music... In this case JX53 won't work well with only sub... I want to second the B200 recommendation. I've read about direct comparison between B200 and JX92 (on decware forum-you can ask barfind) and B200 is said to be overal better (better bass, dinamics, much higher efficiency, also better top end!!! )

Martin
I currently have a setup with the JX53 and JX125 crossed at around 450Hz. The bass is very good for all bass except the 1812 cannons. Low organ music really let you "feel" the low end. Rock music I cannot really comment because most recordings and live performances rely on electronic equipment, and they really differ from band to band.
Old 12th December 2005, 03:06 PM   #27
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Don't forget Bandor as an alternative to the Jordans, I love my 50mm modules.

The Hartley 220 MSG 25cm 20-22k, almost got a pair on ebay Aust with 24" and tweeter, but I was to cheap to go over AU$1,000.

The Visatons are available in Aust from sound labs group

regards
James
Attached Images
File Type: png hart1.png (98.1 KB, 420 views)
Old 12th December 2005, 03:07 PM   #28
tvi is offline tvi  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hartley 10" Magnet
Attached Images
File Type: png hart2.png (97.4 KB, 393 views)
Old 12th December 2005, 03:11 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Re: More research on the Jordan JX53

Quote:
Originally posted by deandob
Further investigation for the JX53 driver shows that it may be suited to my setup, as I have an active 100Hz high pass filter that will remove the bass energy from a smaller driver, allowing it to reproduce the treble with less distortion due to bass modulation.

Regards,
Dean
Reading information from this site will give you a good idea what to look for regarding bass reproduction. The spreadsheat under "4 - Excursion-limited SPL Nomographs" is very usefull.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/publications.htm
Old 12th December 2005, 03:56 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Take Xmax with a pich of salt. Cone area, as mentioned, is a major factor, as is the enclosure type. A DX55 will stuggle to shift much air in some enclosures certainly, but stuffed into, say, a pair of MONSTER horns like the J-Lo or something of the ilk, cone excursion becomes less of an issue.

Subs directional from 100Hz up? Personally, I'd think that's very optimistic. 70Hz is about the limit of omni-directional frequencies. That's why Linn Kans (which really struggled below 100Hz) always sounded lousy with a single sub, but, when properly integrated, worked very well with a stereo pair of subs.

Hide this!Advertise here!