Advice on highest quality full range driver - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2005, 08:33 PM   #11
deandob is offline deandob  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks all,

Nelson's First Watt site has a good write up on the driver comparison.

Regards,
Dean
Old 11th December 2005, 10:00 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Sorry Dean -it might have helped if I'd actually remembered to post the link! I see you found it in the end though!

Cheers
Scott
Old 12th December 2005, 01:54 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

From what I can work out after researching this for a while, for the smaller drivers the ranking for low distortion and decent treble:
1) Lowther DX55
2) Veravox 5X
3) Jordan jx92

The fostex range look good, but not quite in the class of the above drivers.

Next step is to study the enclosures, datasheets and costs to decide on a 4" - 6" driver that can be used for near field listening.

I have not been able to find much on the Veravox 5X, can anyone provide further pointers or experience with this driver?

Regards,
Dean
Old 12th December 2005, 07:14 AM   #14
sumacSK is offline sumacSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumacSK
Hi Dean,

I know that there has been a write-up about veravox 5X in one of the german diy magazines (with measurements, etc...) If you do a search for voravox 5x here, I'm sure you can find some folks who have scanned those pages, so they can send them to you...

Best of luck Martin
Old 12th December 2005, 07:48 AM   #15
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deandob
From what I can work out after researching this for a while, for the smaller drivers the ranking for low distortion and decent treble:
1) Lowther DX55
2) Veravox 5X
3) Jordan jx92

The fostex range look good, but not quite in the class of the above drivers.

Next step is to study the enclosures, datasheets and costs to decide on a 4" - 6" driver that can be used for near field listening.

I have not been able to find much on the Veravox 5X, can anyone provide further pointers or experience with this driver?

Regards,
Dean
Have you compared the Xmax of these drivers? The amount of volume the drivers can push is very critical for bass punch.
Old 12th December 2005, 08:12 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

True. Depends what enclosure you want to put them in too of course. For the moment, Nelson Pass' (again!) J-Lo looks to be one of the better DIY bets... providing you can get them through the door and have an understanding Other Half of course...
A monster TQWT like Terry Cain's Bigger Is Better box could also be viable, providing you've got the corners or a rear wall to load it. Although you aren't intending to go lower than 100Hz, you say your room is pretty big, and you want to rock, so this is one case I don't think an MLTL will be appropriate (and from an MLTL-nut like me, that's really saying something) as you'll want to be shifting as much air as possible.
Don't ignore the Lowther's cheaper PM45 and PM55 either. I haven't heard any comments about them, but they look good to me.

Best
Scott
Old 12th December 2005, 08:23 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Soongsc.

I agree. The Xmax comparisons are as follows:
DX55: +- 1mm. Wow this is small. Not going to move much air with this excursion.
5X: +- 1mm also. Looks like the 5x uses a similar design philosophy to the DX55.
jx92s: +-4.5mm. This driver will move a lot more air. I wonder if it will sound as dynamic/fast as the other 2, given their lightweight approach to cones which limits the Xmax.

Scott, as I want to build a more compact speaker (monitor), it looks like the Jordan will provide better bass in a smaller box compared to the other two and has a much lower Fo.

Regards,
Dean
Old 12th December 2005, 09:11 AM   #18
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deandob
Soongsc.

I agree. The Xmax comparisons are as follows:
DX55: +- 1mm. Wow this is small. Not going to move much air with this excursion.
5X: +- 1mm also. Looks like the 5x uses a similar design philosophy to the DX55.
jx92s: +-4.5mm. This driver will move a lot more air. I wonder if it will sound as dynamic/fast as the other 2, given their lightweight approach to cones which limits the Xmax.

Scott, as I want to build a more compact speaker (monitor), it looks like the Jordan will provide better bass in a smaller box compared to the other two and has a much lower Fo.

Regards,
Dean
I'm not familiar with the DX55 and 5X, but if they have a larger cone area, that also needs to be taken into consideration. Some drivers spec their Xmax more conservatively and degrade gradually beyond Xmax. That's why I wish manufacturers could publish more large signal test data instead of just the traditional T/S parameters. The Klippel site provides some good insight in this aspect.
Old 12th December 2005, 09:50 AM   #19
lithoc is offline lithoc  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Visaton B200 does sound fantastic to my ear very pronounce vocal

http://www.visaton.com/english/artikel/art_771_1_3.html

Old 12th December 2005, 10:06 AM   #20
sumacSK is offline sumacSK  Slovakia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sumacSK
hi,

here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...ht=#post652252

you can find "almost" direct comparison between JX92S and 5X....

Martin

Hide this!Advertise here!