Anybody tried FAL drivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2005, 01:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Anybody tried FAL drivers?

I received today a pair of FAL drivers to try out. They look very interesting. The membrane material looks like styrofoam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1.jpg (69.6 KB, 1798 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 6th December 2005, 01:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's the magnet structure, note the cutouts for the coil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f3.jpg (71.6 KB, 1937 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 6th December 2005, 01:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

More info can be found on Bentaudio site: http://www.bentaudio.com/index2.html

and at sibatech: http://www.sibatech.co.jp/FAL/Drivers.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f2.jpg (74.8 KB, 1736 views)
Old 6th December 2005, 04:18 AM   #4
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Looks like a Flat C with the membrane material of the Flat S. Is it new? And is it true fullrange? I saw a horrible price list many years ago, 3000$ per piece. Has that improved?
Old 6th December 2005, 04:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

It indeed looks like FLAT C however it says Flat on the drivers, maybe the magnets were upgraded to C versions, but I'm not sure. Also, the prices from Bentaudio are much lower than $3000/pc, however, you would need to contact them directly for more details. I got those on loan, just to try out.

I was recently looking for some good drivers, Fertin and Supravox being considered, however, somebody from Europe (seems like FAL are more popular there ) suggested FALs. Since Bentaudio is North American distributor, I arranged for an audition.

I installed them already in my system. In the basement I'm using drivers mounted in a wall separating too rooms, so it's sort of infinite baffle arrangement. Normally, I have Raven 2 tweeter running above 12, or so, with first order crossover and Triangle midbass running full range. PHL driver on the bottom, crossed 1st order from top, runs below 1K and provides bottom end filling in.

With FAL, I disconnected both midbass units, Raven left as originally and FAL running full range (they supposedly work up to 10k). My first impression: amazing bass, really deep and well controlled. Seems better than what I had previously from two 6" units in parallel.

I can detect some coloration in a midrange. I'm not sure what it is but reminds me of the horns. Also, my GC runs in a bridged configuration at +/-34 V and combining it with 4 ohm driver may not be a good idea. All in all, FAL seems like an interesting driver and I'm going through very interesting listening experience. Now I imagine running two of those drivers per channel may provide quite amazing low end. No surprising that Japanese at the show placed sign "No Subwoofer here"

One other thing, it plays equally well with Holly Cole or Klinik.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fla.jpg (64.7 KB, 1968 views)
Old 6th December 2005, 05:45 AM   #6
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Than really looks interesting.
Old 8th December 2005, 08:28 AM   #7
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel

One other thing, it plays equally well with Holly Cole or Klinik.

How about Nina Hagen?
Old 27th December 2005, 12:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Peter, do you have some additional listening impressions? Is it worth the effort (and money) to pursuit these drivers?
Old 19th January 2006, 12:41 AM   #9
jdybnis is offline jdybnis  United States
diyAudio Member

I had a chance to listen to the FAL drivers in their showroom in Tokyo. I was very impressed with the 3" model mounted in a BR. One of the best single-driver speakers I've heard. Although the comparison might be unfair because I've never listen to any other drivers in that price range ($1000 a piece). I didn't know how much they cost when I was listening. I planned on buying a set if they were less than $500 for a pair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fal1.jpg (63.0 KB, 1223 views)
Old 19th January 2006, 12:43 AM   #10
jdybnis is offline jdybnis  United States
diyAudio Member

another showroom picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fal2.jpg (65.5 KB, 971 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!