W4-1320SB Golden Ratio BR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just starting to build my small BR cabinets for the tang bands today.

I have modelled the drivers usind WinISD and have settled on a 4.08 litre box with port tuned to approx 80Hz.

The dimensions I have calculated (according to the golden ratio) are:

height 26.9cm
width 16.6cm
depth 10.3cm

I will be adding approx 1cm to each dimension to account for the wool carpet lining (approx 5mm thick on all internal walls).

The port is going to be made out of a heavy duty cardboard tube, internally 4.9cm diameter, externally 6.1cm diameter. Port length will be 17.52cm, folded internally and exiting sideways from the cabinet.

Oh yeah, the above dimensions include the volume of the port so that I maintain a 4.08 litre effective cabinet volume.

Will hopefully report back later.

Got the boxes finished but not used the filler or sander yet.

I tried the drivers in the un-polished boxes and they sound great. Very directional, due to the full range driver. Bit thick in the lower mid / upper bass. I think this is due to the relatively light damping insides the cabinets. I will remove the drivers and try some pillow stuffing tonight and try to tame the beast.....

Exception coherence and timing though. I'm sure these will kick some **** by the time they are finished.

At the end of the day these are already better than they should be for the cost of the drivers and the size of the boxes. Bass is more than adequate for the job. Photos to follow.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.