fe167e enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking to build my first set of speakers, and I've figured I'd go with the fe167e as the driver. Now, I really like the look of the JTM/2's from Carolina Audio. I'm curious as to how they setup the 3 folded TL design. Is there any diagrams available for this type of design?

Alternativey, could I simply make it a BR design, with only an empty box and single port?

Thanks for the help.

This is a tried and functional design.
Has any one tried anything else with this driver. I made the FT1600 and I love the sound and was thinking about a bipole or a bipole TQWP. I would love to see some discussion on that. It seems the CSS drivers are getting all the attention right now.

How about some discussion.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jwb009 said:
Looks easy enough. So with a cross-section of 81 in^2, does it matter how you get those 81 inches, ie is 9x9 ideal, or will something like 5 x 16.5 work as well?

In theory a ratio of width to depth that is an irrational number is best. Say we take the golden ratio 1:1.618... then internal dimensions would be 7" x 11 5/8"...

What is the purpose of the 3 cross members in this picture? Is it simply for stability?

Those are shelf bracing... IMO braces running up & down would be more effective (like in Scott's)

dave

Bob's is great. I used to have a pair of MK1s I built to his design.

Alternatively, Martin King's evergreen Project 2 ML TQWT for the FE164 (the FE167E is a direct replacement, and actually works better than the original drivers in this cabinet) is invariably a good bet. My top budget choice for the DIY types and capable of embarrassing most commercial speakers up to £2000 UK (no exaggeration there). Looks good too. I've built three pairs of these.

Scott

The intent of the cement board is to get a mix of materials and reduce cabinet resonance. There is an article in the recent AxP that discusses cabinet resonance. The idea is to make the box rigid and reduce the amount of "colouration" caused by the box resonance. Vertical bracing works very well, try to divide into non equal units like Dave describes.
The cement board can be bought as Hardi backer or something similar. It will make the cabinet very heavy. Use a rubberized glue that will remain pliable over time. Something like liquid nails or subfloor adhesive should do the job.
Other questions
Good luck

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
oodi said:
am having difficulties envisioning the vertical bracing, could you elaborate please?

Take a piece of ~ 2" wide 3/4-1" plywood or hardwood. Use an appropriate length to divide the panel into 2 long skinny unequal trapezoids.

pictured below in its simpliest form -- if you can extend it to reach the other side (make it holey of course) then even better

dave

Attachments

• angled-brace.gif
    angled-brace.gif
    3 KB · Views: 555
Vertical Bracing:
Once you have your panels cut out. You need to attach a brace to the inside of the cabinet. I have cut a 3/4" wide by 1/4"deep stopped dado channel in the panel. divided the panel width by the root of 2 to determine the approx. location. Stop the dado before you get to the end so it will not show on the end. Cut a 2" by 3/4" strip of hardwood or 3/4" baltic birch ply. Cut the length to fit inside dimensions. insert and glue. Ta Da you made a vertical brace. Another way is to use a biscuit joiner and do the same but do not cut the dado channel. If you use the biscuit idea you do not have to keep the line vertical you can skew it off by a bit on one end. You need to use a good quality wood glue to secure and clamp tight.
That should help you understand the concept I hope

Dave is quicker than me on the response:
Dave also eludes to our favourite technique. If you extend the brace to the other side you can reinforce both at once. You can also cut out a place for the back of the driver to be braced as well. You have to drill a lot of random holes in the bracing pannel and acount for the approx volume change by the bracing pannel. I have used 3/8 or 1/2 inch plywood for that. I drilled 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1 holes though out the bracing pannel. The trick is to dry fit and cut out for the driver brace part to be pretty close to exact. It is better to be a bit ( ie less than 1/8") deeper than shallow. You can use good old duct seal to make up the differnce between the driver and the brace.
I hope this make sense

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.