TB vs. fostex suggestions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2005, 12:36 AM   #11
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edjosh23
I'm guessing without the modification or a tweeter they sound good if Omega sells them for $700 per pair.
Omega also says they need "as little as 10 watts" so I'm guessing your 10 watts should be sufficient.
I didn't know Omega was using those drivers. Interesting . . . .
Old 2nd December 2005, 03:48 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

This is the same dilema I've been caught in for a while concerning my desk system:

1) FE127 in bass reflex design (Fairly small, simulates with decent bass, great high end)
2) Single W4-1052SA in bass reflex (Very small but pretty low... But the high end performance is unknown)
3) Omega Clone (Should sound great, but a bit more expensive also currently untested. Plus the same high end discomfort, IMHO)

Anyway, good luck, this ones a real noodle-scratcher!

While I'm posting does anyone know the LE of the FE127 or the 1052? I can't seem to find it and I can't run the MJK sheet until I have it.
Old 2nd December 2005, 07:57 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

blip1882,

FE127 Le: well the fe126 is .0065mH. All of the fostex drivers have low Le, the FE108EZ is .038, and I think the sigma series is in its own league, but I would say the Le of the FE127 is around the Le of the FE126. Also, none of their speakers have Le higher than .07mH.

If I remember correctly I heard the w4-1052 was at diy Seatle, I believe I heard good reviews about its performance, it was a single driver in a bass reflex. I also think that if Omega is willing to put their name on it with such a high price tag that they should be worth it.

Josh
Old 2nd December 2005, 08:03 PM   #14
bwbass is offline bwbass  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks like 1052's in the Omega Minuet. Don't know about them having an "alloy chassis", though - mine look like they have plain old stamped steel baskets.

Josh -

Yes, I brought my 1052's to DIY seattle. I think a dipole would work well with these, as mine could use some BSC in a larger room. For desktop use in a small room they've got all the bass I could ask for.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd December 2005, 09:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Josh

Thanks for the info.. I should have thought to estimate it based upon the 126s... good thinking! . I'll be running some sims tonight!

bwbass

Great looking speaker! So you don't feel that the high-end is recessed on these at all? Also would mind sharing dimensions, port length etc. I'm pretty excited about the use of these drivers in desktop monitors but my simulations keep on producing ultra long port lengths?
Old 2nd December 2005, 09:41 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I used MarkMck's prefilter and cone mod on these which removes the upper-mid hump and leaves a high-end rolloff around 17k, which is plenty extended for my ears. They do "beam" quite a bit though, due to the 4" cones. They sound very detailed and "alive" on-axis, which means toeing them in quite a bit in desktop use. These days I actually use them as my HT mains, where the greater listening distance makes this less of an issue.

They're 7l (.25 ft^3) "Golden Ratio" boxes, though I don't remember the exact dimensions off the top of my head. I used the SBB4 alignment in WinISD. As I recall, the port is 2" x 7" or so... yes that is a very long port! In fact, it's too long for the depth of the cabinet, so I used an elbow:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd December 2005, 10:06 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

bwbass,
There they are, very nice! So what are they tuned to?
"Golden Ratio"?
Why did you choose such as small box?
Is that duct seal on the woofer frame/magnet?
by the way, I couldn't even knowtice the glue on the cone, is it obvious in person?

blip1882,
my simulations leave me with pretty normal size ports.

Josh
Old 2nd December 2005, 10:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So what are they tuned to?
SBB alignment tunes the box to Fs, which is 65Hz.(..?) I chose this alignment to maximize output and power handling with the T-amp. With a more traditional alignment tuned lower, the driver runs out of Xmax above Fb around 6 watts as I recall. The SBB alignment is good for 9.5 watts or so but doesn't go quite as deep.
Quote:
Is that duct seal on the woofer frame/magnet?
Nope, just the paper label.
Quote:
by the way, I couldn't even knowtice the glue on the cone, is it obvious in person?
Good eye! There's no glue on the cone, it's the other mod which he didn't make public. There used to be a graph and a filter design posted for this but I can't find it now. Perhaps he pulled it? At any rate I contacted him and got a mod kit with instructions.

"golden ratio" refers to the internal dimensions of the box being in the proportions of 2/3 x 1 x 5/3 in order to minimize coloration caused by standing waves.
Old 2nd December 2005, 10:34 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Smile 7l

I used a 2 x 5" long elbow pvc pipe for my 4" Bamboo's in a similar sized enclosure.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/Bamboo.asp
Old 2nd December 2005, 10:36 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

bwbass,

I just find out what the "Golden Ratio" was from another thread.

I should have remembered from reading the LDC that they were tuned to the fs. I think I'm loosing my memory

Godzilla,

I don't quite understand your box for those W4s. Can you show another picture of a finished cabinet or the woofer in the cabinet. I see 4 holes in a box. 1 for the TB, 1 for the piezo, 1 for the port, and 1 unknown.

Thanks,

Josh

Hide this!Advertise here!