126e vs 127e in BR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to build some smallish BR boxes to use with a SI amp. I am either going to use the fostex 126e or 127e. It seems the 127 is better suited due to the larger excursion. However i like the extra sensitivity of the 126.

will it really make much differnce in a BR box. Has anyone compared the two in BR cabs.

right now i am leaning toward the 127e.

any input would be appreciated.

thanks

I think i should clarify a bit. I know there are some threads on this, but i guess what i am really getting at is that i would like to use the 126e, but there is not nearly as much info on this driver in the forum as there is on the 127e.

if it sounds good in a BR then i will use it (126). If not , i could easily be persuaded to use the 127.

tom

I would go with the FE127E. It is much better suited for a vented cabinet than the FE126E. Looks like a 12L cabinet tuned to 66Hz gets you -3dB right around that tuned frequency, almost surely better with room gain.

The extra efficiency of the 126 would be negated by the series resistance (or other form of EQ) you would need to add to make the driver work in such an enclosure. The driver isn't shielded, either.

Just my 2c.

Lol

I understand your desire for MORE eff but the 126e was designed by fostex to work in a back horn and the 127e designed to work in a ported cabinet.

Typically fostex drivers designed for back horns sound thin with less bass in ported cabinets than their lower eff brothers that are designed for BR's....

If you might build a back horn in the future i'm sure you can live with a 126e in a ported box for some time and build a suitable back horn in the future.

I happily use a 127e powered by a SI amp and it's great. I'm sure the 126e in a back horn will be great too.

http://www.zillaspeak.com/fostex127eStraightPipe.asp

http://www.zillaspeak.com/Fostex127e.asp

Godzilla

use the 127e

I have Omega Super 3's which uses the 127e and I drive it with a Tripath 2024 chip digital amp. As you know it gives you an amazingly strong output of 6 watts per channel. Mine is a modded Clari-T amp based on the chip used in the SI amp. You won't be disappointed by choosing the 127e over the 126 which is designed for use with a horn loaded enclosure.:nod:

My drivers have arrived! i have put them in cardboard to break them in while i build cabinets. I hope what all you guys say about break-in is true. They dont sound bad, but the mid-high totally dominates the sound. Hopefully good cabs and break-in will improve on this.

Has anyone built the double BR box that fostex reccomends? I have found a lot of theory in the fforum, but nobody really commenting on how they sound relative to a simple BR.

anyway, i am going to build one of the fostex rec. boxes. Just wondered if there was enough extra bass ( and quality) to justify building the double BR.

tom

Am not surprised the drivers sound unbalanced in cardboard boxes.

DBR is designed to load the driver over a wider band of freqs than simple BR. I think it might be a fun build. I don't think DBR would give you more or lower bass, but might control excursion slightly better.

fe 126e Yes but larger

If you want the higher efficiency of the fe126e you can get it with a transmission line cabinet but it will be larger than a BR fe127e. If you were planning to stand mount the 127's in a BR cabinet then the TL for the fe126e will not take up any more realestate. Check out Onur Ilkur's cabinet which will run either the 127 or the 126 fostex drivers. This cabinet will yield deeper bass and more efficiency with either driver than you could hope to achieve with a 127 in a BR cabinet.

http://www.yildiz.edu.tr/~ilkorur/speaker/fostex_fe127e.htm

Best regards Moray James.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.