Using those small Creative titanium drivers (large pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
I have been doing some experiments with the very small 33 and 36 mm cambridge soundworks drivers lately, and so far i'm quite impressed :)

It all started when i was twiddling with the idea of using the Aura NSW1 or Hi-Vi B1S drivers from Spectrumaudio. A perfect piston-like full-range unit was so interesting thought :) Of course IRL these small airmovers aren't that perfect and probably should not be called fullrangers at all :D.

But anyways, I bought a set of 2.1 Creative I-Trigue 3200 speakers and dismantled them. Inside can be found six 33mm diameter units:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I made a surround "5.2" set using these, so i atomized the sixth driver. They have a paper voice coil, about 1mm linear x-max one way. The "cone" really is metal, if not titanium then it's aluminium or something. They don't have ferrofluid as i didn't expect.. instead, there's a very very tiny spider, just like the normal, bigger drivers do have. The magnet is a neo cup, plus one thin cancelling magnet on the pole piece.

The approximate parameters are:

Fs 267 Hz
Qts 0,57
Qes 0,65
Qms 4,76
Vas ~ 0,01...0,04 L (just roughly estimated, compared to Hi-Vi)

Z 12 ohms
Re 11,6 ohms
Sd 4 cm^2

Freq response using aluminium cabinets, measured with diy panasonic/monacor mic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And "farfield", where the "bass" response can be seen:

In my current setup the five satellites are driven by yamaha surround amp. They are crossed over from 120Hz (soundcard) + 90Hz (yamaha speaker setup set to small). The bass parts have Tang band 6,5" woofers with linkwitz transform and a bessel 12 dB/oct filter @ 250 Hz (quite experimental so far, the bass doesn't extend as low as i planned.. :smash: ).

The sound is suprisingly good despite the 17kHz resonance. Creative has not used the full potential of these, the arrangement of three identical drivers without any crossovers for eliminating the comb-filter effect and an undamped, lousy plastic box make the sound poor.

I installed the bigger 36mm, 4-ohm version of the drivers in my car similar way as the surround set.. I'll put pics & specs about them too when all the pics have been processed :crackup:

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
The bigger version is with a unbelievable 1mm wider dome than the smaller one... :) The surround is also wider and part of it is acting like a "cone", for more radiation area. It might have more x-max too..

These can be found from travelsound speakers.

Z 4 ohms
Re 3,5 ohms

Fs 220 Hz
Qts 0,43
Qes 0,49
Qms 3,80

Installation on my car's dashboard to where the original tweeters were

In the car these speakers work quite well. They make it possible to get the vocalist on the dashboard level from the legroom where the typical door speakers are.. I'm at the moment using 400Hz crossover freq.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.