EBS Aligned Tang Bands?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have ordered a pair of Tang Band W4-1320sb drivers from partsexpress, as well as a pair of W3-871s.

I'm in the UK so delivery may be slow, but can't be helped....

I'm thinking of building EBS (extended bass shelf) -3db enclosures for both.

Both will probably be powered by turbo-charged t-amps. I know sensitivity is a bit low, but both pairs are for bedroom/office systems so in this case the low powered amp shouldn't be a problem.

One reason I considered EBS alignment was that I read it was particulary suitable for low power valve amps with low damping factor. T-amps also have low power and low damping factor.

Am I correct in thinking this type of encloser suits the amp and speakers limitations quite nicely?

Thanks in advance :)

I'm certainly not an expert in class D amplifiers or anything, but I don't believe I've heard anything about a low damping factor. Where did you hear this?
Secondly an EBS alignment is something I ussually think of being used for larger woofers, where Vb=Vas and port tunning=Fs or some such thing. This works with larger drivers since room gain lifts up where the frequency response starts to sag (or the low damping factor lifts up where the frequency response starts to sag). However with the small tang-band you will not be getting any room gain at 70Hz.
I'm sure the sonic impact and tangband drivers can make a good combination for near field listening, I would just go for a ported box with a flat frequency response.
Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.