Buschhorn placement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are the Buschhonrs intended for corner placement only? I would like to build a pair of them with FE108ES to be used with an 8W SET. I listen mainly to classical music including opera. I plan to place them on either side of an open fireplace and with a doorway quite close behind in a 15 x 20 ft room. So they will not see a corner and not even a complete wall behind them. Is this a bad idea? If so, should I instead consider some kind of TL? There is really no other option for placement.

Grateful for advise before I begin cutting....

Michael

With the FE108EZ, I would probably go with the Fostex design. The Buschorns have a much too big compression chamber for the 108. If you insist on Bhorn, try the FE126 (drop-in replacement) perhaps with a ST on top.

Perhaps the bass will be a bit lean (with the 108) but better "lean and clean" than "big and boomy"

The FE126 will go a bit lower and a bit louder (well... a lot louder)
On the other hand, the FE108EZ has more finesse to it.

Robert

www.gemmeaudio.com

Thanks. I think I want to use the 108 because of the more detailed midrange. I had intended to reduce the CC to a minimum. 0.5 litre seens to be about right to give a good cut-off frequency but I guess it needs to be an iterative trial process. I am considering to make the cabinet 2cm wider and also slightly higher.

The Buschhorn seems to have a hyperbolical expansion rather than pure exponential. I will probably keep the same expansion rate and just use the wider cabinet to get a slightly longer horn and (more important) a wider mouth. Fiddling around with excel spreadsheets now....

Michael

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
robertG said:
The Buschorns have a much too big compression chamber for the 108

Perhaps the bass will be a bit lean (with the 108) but better "lean and clean" than "big and boomy"

The FE108 in the B-Horn is very good -- even with the stock CC.

The 108 in the B-Horn indeed has a lean & clean bass. We tried the smaller compression chamber as has been recommended but that ruined the midrange (made them unlistenable IMHO). We never got a chance to play with "in-between" before Bob walked off with them.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.