Can't do the math!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Fostex FE166E speakers that were given me by a friend who gave up on them. He said he couldn't build a box to make them sound good. So now I get to try. We live in a basement suite so we can't play loud. My tastes (and my new wife's) include almost everything except noise - punk, metal and other varieties of non-music.
I have been trolling this forum (and others) for quite a while trying to decide what type of boxes to build for these speakers. My wife likes the looks of Terry Cain's Abby's but it will be long after graduation before we can afford them! We do have a friend next door with a woodworking shop who can build the boxes for them. My problem is that I can't do the math. I have looked at Martin King's worksheets and I am completely befuddled. C'mon - I'm an Art student!
Is it possible that one of the experts here can give me some simple measurements (you know - length, width, height) to build a pair of Voight pipes to contain these FE166E's? Or perhaps even better - recommend what you would consider "great sounding" boxes for them?
Our room is 19 x 13 x just under 8 feet. We have a small tube amp (8W?) and a great CD player (Ah! Tjoeb - grad present) and our music collection is all CD's. The old Sony speakers we have now are basically junk. The Fostex's sound better in the cardboard boxes I have them mounted in now!
We thank any and all of you in advance for your help.

For a conventional ported box, as an interim, you might consider about .65 cu ft. internally, about 11"D, 8"W, and 19"H. A port with an internal diameter of 1.5 inches, and a length about 1 1/8 inch should get you in the ball park. You'd want to experiment with different port lengths, and stuffings. I'd put the driver at about 60% of the height, certainly not 50%.

It won't play very loudly, nor will the bass go very deep; room placement will be important for bass response. You might try:
corner locations
more centered in the room against the back wall,
the more normal 3 or 4 feet out from the back wall.

A friend recently ordered some of the Fostex 3 or 4 inch banana pulp full ranges; they sounded very good for the price. I'd always wondered about the banana pulp cones, and it appears to be a very good cone material.

Good luck with your project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.