Can't do the math! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2005, 05:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to poorstudent Send a message via MSN to poorstudent Send a message via Yahoo to poorstudent
Unhappy Can't do the math!

I have a pair of Fostex FE166E speakers that were given me by a friend who gave up on them. He said he couldn't build a box to make them sound good. So now I get to try. We live in a basement suite so we can't play loud. My tastes (and my new wife's) include almost everything except noise - punk, metal and other varieties of non-music.
I have been trolling this forum (and others) for quite a while trying to decide what type of boxes to build for these speakers. My wife likes the looks of Terry Cain's Abby's but it will be long after graduation before we can afford them! We do have a friend next door with a woodworking shop who can build the boxes for them. My problem is that I can't do the math. I have looked at Martin King's worksheets and I am completely befuddled. C'mon - I'm an Art student!
Is it possible that one of the experts here can give me some simple measurements (you know - length, width, height) to build a pair of Voight pipes to contain these FE166E's? Or perhaps even better - recommend what you would consider "great sounding" boxes for them?
Our room is 19 x 13 x just under 8 feet. We have a small tube amp (8W?) and a great CD player (Ah! Tjoeb - grad present) and our music collection is all CD's. The old Sony speakers we have now are basically junk. The Fostex's sound better in the cardboard boxes I have them mounted in now!
We thank any and all of you in advance for your help.
Old 21st November 2005, 05:19 AM   #2
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

you might consider this approach right now:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...457#post771457

while considering other approaches
Old 22nd November 2005, 02:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

For a conventional ported box, as an interim, you might consider about .65 cu ft. internally, about 11"D, 8"W, and 19"H. A port with an internal diameter of 1.5 inches, and a length about 1 1/8 inch should get you in the ball park. You'd want to experiment with different port lengths, and stuffings. I'd put the driver at about 60% of the height, certainly not 50%.

It won't play very loudly, nor will the bass go very deep; room placement will be important for bass response. You might try:
corner locations
more centered in the room against the back wall,
the more normal 3 or 4 feet out from the back wall.

A friend recently ordered some of the Fostex 3 or 4 inch banana pulp full ranges; they sounded very good for the price. I'd always wondered about the banana pulp cones, and it appears to be a very good cone material.

Good luck with your project.
Old 22nd November 2005, 06:37 AM   #4
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default er why not build some voight pipes (Cain and Cain Abby "type")

or try Fostex's recommended enclosure:

Fostex recommended enclosures

or
(not sure if the link still works...)

Clabby, Abby "clone"

Hide this!Advertise here!