What speaker cable do you use in your Fostex (or other) fullrange? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2005, 02:36 AM   #1
Guijs is offline Guijs  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default What speaker cable do you use in your Fostex (or other) fullrange?

Hello ,

What speaker cable do you use? Wich type would be better for a single driver?

I'm thinking of disassemble a alpha-core copper foil inductor and use the copper film to build a cable, with the film side by side like the Nordost flat cable. So I can build a spade conector at the ends .

Any other idea?

Guilherme
Old 21st November 2005, 06:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Thats a good idea.I have wondered what there foil sounds like from there inductor.It would make a good powercord also.

I have built many powercords and speaker cables out of the silver and copper foils.Outstanding sound. No different than what electraglide and david elrod cables use.I am using some left over wire from a nuclear powerplant right now.

Very heavily shielded silver coated copper wire with wax paper over teflon.Sounds very good i just wish i had more of it.
Old 21st November 2005, 06:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Roger,

I thought about Alpha-core because I think it's one of the best copper foils for audio. And it's cheap, with a U$15 inductor you can do a lot of cables .

What about silver wire for fullranges? Any coment?
Old 21st November 2005, 05:32 PM   #4
MCH is offline MCH
diyAudio Member

On the conductivity chart, silver is a better conductor than copper. Copper (annealed) is rated at 100 - Silver 106 - Gold 65.

Does this help?
Old 21st November 2005, 06:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sounds like an interesting idea. I've been using cat 5 and will be using 47 Labs OTA once I get my speakers built. I currently use it for ICs and love it, amazing stuff.

As for silver, it can work, but depends. I've had expensive silver ICs and didn't care for them. I found imaging to be smeared and they seemed to soften the edges of attacks. The 47 labs I made were much nicer, much more to my liking. I know some use silver with great luck, could have been the development of this cable.

I've also read that many use thin gage magnet wire with great results as well. Something to think about.
Old 21st November 2005, 11:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm using 24AWG magnet wire with a pair of FF165Ks at present -the higher resistance artifically raises the QES of the driver (same as adding a resistor, but cheaper and easier.) For speakers that don't requuire any series resistance to help their bass regions, I stick with 12AWG zip cord.
Personally I'd forget about silver -it's a marginally less resistive than copper, but the difference is literally miniscule, and it costs a whole lot more. I haven't seen or heard anything so far that persuades me otherwise.
Old 22nd November 2005, 04:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ok guys, and what you are using for Interconnects?

Saturday i've build a cable using 18awg solid copper twisted wich Eichmann Bullet plugs and it's sounding really good!
Old 22nd November 2005, 04:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm using the 47 Labs OTA with the Bullet Plugs. After trying quite a few ICs, these really do the job and sound totally amazing. Much better that the pricey silver ICs I had. I also had some of the top of the line Zu Cable ICs, and these are as good or better. I highly recommend them!!
Old 22nd November 2005, 05:21 PM   #9
jeremym is offline jeremym  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cat 5 cable comes in handy. I use it for homebrew interconnects and speaker wire.
Old 22nd November 2005, 09:41 PM   #10
AuroraB is online now AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

without knowing the isolation properties of the insulation foil in detail, I would be VERY concerned about trying a coil flatfoil as a power cable.

Before fiddling with power chords. . I think there is quite alot of other parameters that potensially has a lot more value to try....

Hide this!Advertise here!