Fostex 168Esigma vs. Audio Nirvana 6.5 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2005, 02:13 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default Audio nirvanas

Alain, any more info on these 6" or 8" nirvanas since last post. I was thinking of using T. Cains BIB design from the fullrange site.

Mark
Old 11th December 2005, 10:22 PM   #22
kmj is offline kmj  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I did break-in the Audio Nirvana 6.1/2" for about 150 hours
of real music. Mostly I was not home at this time...
Thanks for you reply. Do they sound as good as the manufacturers say?
Old 11th December 2005, 10:47 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kmj

Thanks for you reply. Do they sound as good as the manufacturers say?
Anyone who says their driver is the best in the world or better than any driver made by "x" company is full of it. I'm sorry, but I have issues with the statements on that website. I'm not saying the drivers aren't any good in their own right, but they do sway people with this language of lies.

As for these drivers, I'm sure they're all right. But, I highly doubt they compare to the Fostex Sigma line. And to be honest, I doubt they are equals of the FE line either. I've read where reputable people have compared them, and the build quality isn't as nice as the FE drivers and no where near the Sigma line. They have cheap stamped frames, nothing extra.

If you look at the comparison chart on the web, you'll see all the magnet sizes, etc. But, if you look at the magnet strength, which really tells the story. You'll see that they don't compare, even his smaller 6.5" driver with a magnet about 2.5 times the size of the Fostex's isn't as strong as the Fostex's. Make sense? No, obviously you get what you pay for with Fostex and this company. Quality parts do make a difference. I wouldn't trust this guy in any way.

I hope the drivers sound good to those how have them, however. If this guy introduced them and sold them for what they are instead of bashing another company, (who's product he sells, make any sense to anyone?) to try to make himself look good, I'd have at least a grain of respect for him.

Sorry for the rant. Good luck with your projects.
Old 12th December 2005, 12:03 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Ok, "as good as he says" was perhaps a bit wrong.

Instead lets say, are they any good? Are they something to recommend. They are after all half the price of the sigmas here in europe.
Old 12th December 2005, 01:21 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

kmj,

Looks like someone has a Mirvana spit in his throat...

We are not here to sell those speakers, but some did buy them (I did so)
and are there to share . And don't get any discount either.

Some would like to buy them, so let them get the right informations.

I have had in my hands Fostexe's ; Mirvana's, Supravox 215RTF Bicone
the energy to move a 5/7 grams cone is irrelevant versus stamped or cast basket
we are not talking of a 15" woofer but a little 6" fullranger!

Admit for a second they are worth-it ; it would have been a shame not to try.

Alain.
Old 12th December 2005, 02:28 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Alain, kmj, others...

I agree with what Alain is saying and did not intend to flame anyone here in any way. I do think the drivers are worthy of looking into and probably sound pretty good. I just take issue with the way they are sold, the claimes on the site, etc.

I find them interesting as well and wish only the best of luck to those who have purchased them.

Cheers.
Layne
Old 12th December 2005, 04:23 PM   #27
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default full range

I have several of the fostex, but not the sigma. Never have been pleased with that piercing sound, but have damped the cone to my taste. What choices have we got if we want to go full-range in a 6" driver?

cheers
doggy
Old 12th December 2005, 04:40 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Obviously, there's the Audio Nirvana drivers. But, if you could go with a 5" or so driver, the Veravox 5x is very, very intriguing. In fact, may be in my future at some point. I see they also offer a 7" driver. Check here, scroll down under the News section:

http://www.solen.ca/

I have the 6.5" sigma and really don't get the piercing sound some speak of, unless it's a bad recording.

Beyond that, Fostex has the F120a, which is supposed to be really nice, though not quite as detailed as some of the Sigma drivers, from what I've read. However, I'd imagine very musical. Though smaller, look into the CSS drivers and Jordan. Others may be Visiton and Hemp acoustics.

I'm sure there are many others I'm not thinking of, you may be familiar with all of the above. Good luck with your search.
Old 12th December 2005, 04:54 PM   #29
doggy is offline doggy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the insight; I will check those out.

cheers
doggy
Old 12th December 2005, 07:53 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

AN-speakers.
I've basicly already decided to try them out. If they don't sound that good I can always replace them. But really, thay can't sound that bad.

Hide this!Advertise here!