Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2005, 04:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to philipbarrett
Default 1st Project & a ?

I've been lurking around this forum for some time & wanted to thank everyone whose advice and experience I used for this project.

Finished my first full range speakers, FE87Es in the Fostex recommended bass reflex enclosure. I chose these as a simple design with which to work on some woodworking skills & techniques. They will eventually be used for desktop monitors with my computer DAW system, at the moment they are being driven by my Darling SE.

Overall I'm very impressed. Lots of detail & depth, lively, excellent imaging and a very controlled mid-bass. I really like the high end, obviously the bass is somewhat lacking but that's not what I built them for anyway.

I am noticing a slight pronouncement at around 800Hz - 1KHz, makes vocals a little nasaly and I am wondering;

1) Is this typical?
2) Will it mitigate with some burn in time?
3) Can anyone lead me to a design for passive bandpass filters?

I plan to shoot them with my Spectra-Foo system when my case gets back from a show, however I've always believed my ears first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010255.jpg (58.7 KB, 161 views)
Old 14th November 2005, 04:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't have any first hand experience with the fe87e, but from using other fostex drivers, I would certainly give it some more time to break in. At least a couple of weeks of steady listening this should get you through the majority of the break in.
Joe

they look good by the way

Hide this!Advertise here!