Another CSS WR/FR design -- The Bipolar Bipoles - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2005, 04:32 AM   #1
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Another CSS WR/FR design -- The Bipolar Bipoles

Every time out they seem to be getting better.

We have just fired up what on early listening seems to be the best FR/WR design we've done yet. We call them the Bipolar-Bipoles. About 25 litres sealed, FR125 on one side, WR125+ApexJr T (1.8 uF cap on the other). Intended to give us both trials of a sealed bipole, and to compare the FR125 to the WR125 + simple super tweeter. With the terminals in the base, it is completely reversable cosmetically. At about a metre high, and 6" wide they are quite compact, and according to the lady of the house "cute". Intention is to build future ones with solid wood front & back.

Initial impressions --The WR125 side has more extended top & better dispersion but the FR side perhaps a bit better image stage. Really, really close thou & much more listening required. One thing that is notable is that the little single ended tube amps aren't choking on this one (limited on volume & the bass isn't as tight as with the PP or SS, but nicer in the mids at low volume). I have posted this design in the box design library.

No finish on them yet...

Click the image to open in full size.

attachment is the base wherein hides the terminals....

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bipolar-bipoles-base.jpg (22.8 KB, 2276 views)
Old 1st November 2005, 06:31 AM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default bipolars

can't he get some new plants?

sorry about the saw burn on the base filler, but I was in a hurry

While the EL84 SE amps have more transparent midrange and deeper soundstage, the PP EL34 definitely provides more bass "authority" and SPL. (that's shorthand for ballz)

Dave may massage the final dimensions on drawings, but don't even think about using MDF - these are Baltic Birch, baby: front/rear 17mm, sides & internal braces 12mm - all dadoed and glued only - the only screws are at the drivers and terminal cup/ base

oh yeah, the wife says:

"hey those are CUTE" (she's not at all crazy about the size of the bipole MLTL's, even with Macassar Ebony veneer)
Old 1st November 2005, 07:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thats beautiful work.

I get my 125fr tommmorrow. Anyone want to build me an enclosure. Im really looking for maximum output out these babies. Im am running a resonant engineering RE 8 woofer for lower extension.

Which would you recommend the 7 litre bass reflex of the planet 10 minionken bass reflex or even a bipole for the fr's.

Old 1st November 2005, 07:19 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kudisbetta
get my 125fr tommmorrow. Anyone want to build me an enclosure.

We are always happy to build boxes for people... getting them done locally would probably be more cost effective but you never know.

Quote:
Which would you recommend the 7 litre bass reflex of the planet 10 minionken bass reflex or even a bipole for the fr's.
If you are crossing to a sub i'd recommend sealed or aperiodic. I actually run my miniOs aperiodic. I'm a big bipole fan (you do need to be able to pull the boxes out from the walls). You also need 2 drivers per box.

I've not heard a 7 litre reflex built to the same standard as the boxes Chris & i build. IMHO the miniO as we've built them, is decidely better than the 7 litre reflexes i have heard. The miniO is inherently well braced, and the nature of its ports give it a bit more of an aperiodic nature. Too much bass, just stuff the port.

The bipoles here are a move towards getting the good stuff the miniOs do, the strengths of the bipole, in a fairly easy to build box with high WAF

dave
Old 1st November 2005, 07:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Very nice indeed gentemen. I may have to indulge in 4 drivers before long, after the next Sigma project is complete. Anyone else find that they have a clean out, then within three months, at least 4 pairs of speakers have suddenly appeared?

Cheers
Scott
Old 3rd November 2005, 09:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to layertone
Quote:
Originally posted by kudisbetta
Thats beautiful work.

I get my 125fr tommmorrow. Anyone want to build me an enclosure.

What type of enclosure are you looking for? You can see here I'm building Tom's PAWO Z-horn using 3/4" MDF layers cut with my CNC

http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/vie...php?id=104&p=3

Thanks
Old 3rd November 2005, 09:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Very nice guys. I would love to hear them. Will supply beverage of your choice, but will not bring plants.

Jeff
Old 3rd November 2005, 11:59 PM   #8
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by layertone

What type of enclosure are you looking for? You can see here I'm building Tom's PAWO Z-horn using 3/4" MDF layers cut with my CNC

http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/vie...php?id=104&p=3

Thanks
Is the machine pretty expensive? How well does it work on birch plywood? Especially at round corners? I have I friend that used layered MDF, and they started cracking in the middle of the layers after sitting in there for a few weeks.
Old 4th November 2005, 02:23 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to layertone
Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc

Is the machine pretty expensive? How well does it work on birch plywood? Especially at round corners? I have I friend that used layered MDF, and they started cracking in the middle of the layers after sitting in there for a few weeks.
You can check Shopbottools for their current prices; as far as my router features,
- 4HP Brushless Columbo Automatic Tool Changer Spindle (3 tool holders) 240v Single Phase, 11 amps
- 49" x 97" Table Area (perfect for MDF)
- Vacuum table / channels for part hold-down / Aluminum T-Slot Table
- Closed Loop Servos / Ball Screws on all 3 Axis
- Repeatability .001", Resolution, .0002"
- beefy 1,500 pounds

Enough specs! The router was about $30,000, shipping about $2,000, ArtCAM Pro Software $7,500, Oneida-Air 2-stage Dust Collector, about $1,500 forklift rental...... (got myself into lots of trouble here)

I don't have any problems with cracking; dowels & Titebond glue on every layer holds plenty

Birch Plywood works very well; I use a 3/8" compression end-mill for a clean cut - MDF, birch ply, solid maple.... round corners, not a problem at all;

I can send you a sample or if you need something cut, just send me an e-mail,

Thanks
Old 4th November 2005, 02:38 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by layertone
u can see here I'm building Tom's PAWO Z-horn using 3/4" MDF layers cut with my CNC
Layertone,

I think you really should have waited until the design was sorted. As is i can't recommend the design to anyone. I really do hope we can get it sorted because i don't know how we'd go about repurposing the bamboo ones, and it would be a shame to add them to the burn pile.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!