Aurasound NS3-194-8E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just got another idea for this project. What do you think about mounting the fullrange driver without any box behind it? I'll try to explain my idea...

Picture the complete speaker as a lower case "b" when you look at it from the side. You have the vented enclosure for the 8" woofer in the lower part of the speaker, but the front baffel continues upwards and the 3" driver is just mounted in the middle och the part of the front that goes over the bass enclosure. (It's not easy to explain something when english isn't your native language ;) )

Wouldn't that create a fairly "airy" sound?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mikael Abdellah said:
ower case "b" when you look at it from the side

Open baffle mid-tweeter XOed to a sealed or vented woofer. A great idea... not original but it does work. The baffle should be wide enuff that the dipole roll-off is at or below the frequency you want to cut it off. The mid-tweeter will need a filter -- active would be best.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mikael Abdellah said:
Can I use the length of a full wave at the desired freq. to determine the area of the baffle?

There was a long discussion on this... the right answer is to download The Edge or Thorsten's OB spreadsheet

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/downloads.html

the short answer -- IIRC -- was 0.25 x WL = minimum width. Driver Q and room placement all play a role so that is a very loose guide.

dave

Progress on these speakers has been slow lately but today I managed to get one of them more or less finished. The speakers need some time to break in but already they sound really sweet. The 8" woofer provides a lot of deep tight bass and the voices are crystal clear. I will provide more information about the box dimensions and pictures later on. The speaker is made up of one SPH-212 and one NS3-194-8E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.