DIY2005 Orlando thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok folks, 'tis the day after. I wanted to send out an
e-mail to everyone who was able to make it and
partcipate in the fun.

There were several folks there that are not on my list
here so if you know them PLEASE have them send me an
e-mail with their contact info.

Also, if you won a door prize that was not there and
needs to be shipped to you, PLEASE send me an e-mail
with your shipping.receiving information so I can get
them out to you.

Of course, having mentioned the door prizes, I have to
say THANKS SO MUCH to all the great vendors involved
this time around. Your contributions to our day are
greatly appreciated by all and your continuing
contributions to the DIY community are indeed awesome.

Now then, to the people who came out for the
show....bravo. We did have a little slow start but all
in all I think we had a great day. I got to meet new
people this time around and BS with a couple of the
Florida DIY regulars for a bit as well. All of the
projects that I saw and heard were excellent overall.
Thanks again for coming out folks I am looking forward
to getting together with you again soon.

As for the people who couldn't make it, my apologies
if my scheduling caused your absence, you were missed
this time around. I will be doing my regular Florida
DIY Gathering in February so maybe we can get everyone
rounded up for that date (to be announced).

Once again, there a few folks there that aren't on my
e-mail list here and I need their info so if you know
it, or them, please contact me.

Folks, please take the time to check out all of the
vendors webpages listed here...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/audioDIYflorida/database?method=reportRows&tbl=2

...and be sure to contact them and thank them for the
support and contributions.

I/we will be getting some webpages/photo sets up soon
and will get the links out to you for your viewing
pleasure.

Have a safe and great holiday season folks...see you
next time around!!!

Chuck Scheerschmidt
Three2One-676-Nine7One2

Hi

Chuck sent me this link. The speakers are mine, and the plan you have there is the same one. The original one is designed for 5 to 6 inch fullrangers. I orignally used ratshack 5 1/4 inchers, and after being pleased, stepped up to Fostex FE164's.

I built these from shelving material thrown out, and I was surprised at how good they sounded in a large room. The upward bass horn couples well with the room.

Maybe larger ones with 8 inch fostex drivers are in order.

After much experimenting, I ended up with the following damping:
THese need damping at the 180 degree bend going to the bass mouth. I used carpet underlay there (a single layer). The box containing the driver has underlay on two sides (I think), and the closed end has some poly fill stuffed into it.
That did the trick of keeping the wrong types of gremlins from eminating from the bass port, while not slowing down the bass wave.
If you overdamp this, it will affect the bass in a big way.

Try it, it's cheap.
Bob H.

Hi Bob,

Good to see a pair built so I get a real idea of the scale - looks to be just about right for my needs. They look good in blue ;)

I still might try it with the driver on the 'side' though, and I'll be starting with something like a FE164. If it doesn't sound good I can just seal it up and cut a new hole. I'll try your stuffing/lining advice.

Glad to hear it. I don't see why they can't be mounted on the end.

I was thinking of scaling the measurements up based on the F3 differences between the FE164 and the FE 20? (the 8 inch fullrange for $168 a pair), so the pipe length and volume corresponds to the lower F3. Does this make sense?

bobhedberg said:
Glad to hear it. I don't see why they can't be mounted on the end.

I was thinking of scaling the measurements up based on the F3 differences between the FE164 and the FE 20? (the 8 inch fullrange for $168 a pair), so the pipe length and volume corresponds to the lower F3. Does this make sense?

Do you mean Fs? To my mind it makes sense, but there are others with more knowledge who may disagree.

What are those 'tabs' on each of the top corners of the cabinets?

Yeah, the Fs. Of course I'd bet the F3 has the same ratio difference as the FS between the drivers, so I would probably come up with the same scale percentage. I'm not a math genius, and so try to come up with common-sense adjustment perameters based on emperical evidence. I'm sure I'm unleashing some torrent of corrections to these theories, but in the end, I'm quite happy with the direction in which my audio-messing has gone, and I'd think that is the real bottom line.
I mean- so what if the pipe freq ends up at 32 hz instead of 36 hz? It's close enough to try.

I flip them upside down and set them on my computer desk for computer speakers. The feet keep the bass end a bit off the desk surface. I've never experimented with the size of the feet, as the bass seemed to couple nicely.

The DIY meet was actually the first time I'd listened to them in a critical way in a large room (rightside up), and I was quite satisfied with the sound, including the bass, considering their size.

Right after bulding these on a whim, I got Hammer Super 12's, and spent all of my speaker time messing with those, so these were assigned to computer speaker duty, which they have been for years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.