Fostex Tweeters : T90A, T900A, T500A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At one point a while back, I translated that page though an online translater. As I recall, the builder said the boxes, (Nessie) didn't really work very well and he didn't recommend it with the driver he used.

I'd have to translate again to confirm, but not time right now...

Unfortunately, I don't think most of us can afford to answer this question. The fancier Fostex supertweeters are quite expensive. I would certainly like to know how the various high end models compare.

I tried ribbons as supertweeters a couple times. I thought they were pretty bad for that. Detail galore, but seemingly impossible to integrate. Ribbons can be great, but IMHO are best used as tweeters in a conventional low efficiency multiway.

+1 to Greg's comments

The prices for T90A and T900A currently run $25 and $535 USD each respectively, and if you want to get silly spendy the T500A is $1034 ea.

Continuing in the Fostex line, there are compression driver and wooden horn combinations up to $2369 per channel.

All those prices are before applicable sales taxes and shipping, brokerage fees on international deliveries, etc.

While any of these, or high end ribbons such as RAAL and any other names you chose no doubt offer stellar performance in elaborate multiways, many of us entered DIY speaker building, and particularly the Full Range "cult" for the simplicity and very modest cost of systems that can deliver satisfying performance for less than the sales tax on some of the above.

I'm using the T900A and it replaced the T500 that some years ago replaced my blown Coral H104. The sound of the T500 never was as smooth and relaxed as the Corals but I feel that I got that smoothness back when switching to the T900. I have not had the T900 side by side with the Corals but I think that I am closer in character with the 900 than with the 500. I'm crossing around 9k, second order.

BR,
Anders

I'm using the T900A and it replaced the T500 that some years ago replaced my blown Coral H104. The sound of the T500 never was as smooth and relaxed as the Corals but I feel that I got that smoothness back when switching to the T900. I have not had the T900 side by side with the Corals but I think that I am closer in character with the 900 than with the 500. I'm crossing around 9k, second order.

BR,
Anders

agreed.
I prefer the T900A over the T500Amk2.
And I prefer the sound of the T900A when I extend its horn : its linearity is improved, and it is then also possible to cut it lower.

And as is, I read somewhere that some guys prefer it over an Onken OS5000T !

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Recently had a chance to hear and see some of the Fostex tweeters disambled.
It occurred that fostex has simply two tweeters, and changes a little bit the magnet strength and thats it.
The smaller line is the t50, t90, which were in the past quiet cheap affordable but playing nice. Theyre now called T90A for bit higher price but its like 1:1 the same piece, no magic here. They just thickened the horn outside circumference for optical reasons. Most funny to me, the super fancy t900 with its monster brass fancyness... also the same!!!
Again horn only visually different, same function shape, bigger magnet, ha!

Then the other line with just a little different horn flare and phaseplug shape is the 925 series. The good old famous t925. Many bought in the 80s... now replaced with new T925A is again a 1:1 for more bucks and thickened circumference :(
Biggest pooh to me, the T500(mkii) is exactly the same thing! :D
Its has a lil more flux and tons of shiny brass, yeah. But its still a T925 !!!
The bit silver inside isnt really worth much, the alnico in fact tiny in its nett size if you see it dissembles and majority goes for the brass for visual reasons. Ok the only functional thing here might be the magnesium with higher speed than aluminum.
But seriously, in a damn RING i dont struggle too much of breaking modes ...........
Especially not with 20mm size. Its not a dome so... it’s even screwed to the plate in the center. What breaking should appear? You could only extend the HF limit by having the quiet big airgap between ring and hornthroat eliminated - if you ask me ... but they didnt!
So, to me remained a comedy in the first place.
It might be that the t500 has a touch more whatever, but it likely be subjective expectations to the brass :)
I guess ill keep my ol 925.

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.