little fullrange magic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
hi all
just want to report this driver, a 3.5" sanyo 8 ohm 8 watts, R-S6879

when you come accross this driver, do not pass it, it sounds wonderfull
i was amazed how much music comes out of this little thingy
i just experimented with a small closed box and later with an open baffle and the midrange was so wonderfull and life like, that i ended up using it instead peerless driver for ht project
this driver is definitely designed as full range, it has quite an extended hights /although I ended up using a tweeter with it/
its bass is not deep, but it's there and in a small closed box actualy sounded pretty balanced
that's all

Attachments

• sanyo1.jpg
    sanyo1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 2,400
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Cal,
well, you are right, obviously he does.
Those are the exact drivers, except the slight variation on the dust cap.
The reason I am reporting theese is the sound. Fabulous. Just look at the size of the magnet. If I were not lazy, I would put them in some suitable enclosure like Voight pipe or blh, i am sure they would perform well. But i am. Plus i have way too many other small full range drivers sitting around.
Thanks, planet10, for the link. Did you by any chance measure efficiency or frequency response?
ed

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
adason said:
Did you by any chance measure efficiency or frequency response?

FR no, but impedance curve & T/S numbers are in the auction. Don't take them as gospel for yours. On versions of the 103As that i've measured lots of, the parameters can vary quite a bit.

All of the FE103A variations sound excellent, The holey basket Corals are generally considered best of breed. And they all get even better tweaked up. To better a set of tweaked ones with new drivers you have to expend over $150.

There is an extensive thread where i catalogged a whole whack of the variations. If we can find it, we'll have to add these ones in.

dave

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks scottw and planet10, for the link and nice talk about this litle driver
i feel good about recognizing it's sound long before i read the planet10's pages
i think this driver would deserve TL box of its own, to be used as full range, as it was meant to be, but at present i have no need for such system
instead i have been putting fr drivers on the open baffle on the top of bass cabinet with success, basszila like, so even this driver ended up like that
i believe that using it primarily as midrange (from about 200 Hz) and up, limiting the bass coming out of it, and its excursion, makes midrange exceptionaly clear
tweeter is optional
thanks
ed

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Brisso57,

sorry, I did not notice there was question, I do not get notified about the posts. This is quite an old thread.
I still do have the drivers, they are mounted on open baffle roughly 1x2ft accompanied with little tweeter. This baffle is sitting on top of closed box woofer, I believe woofer is 12". They are being used in the basement, when I work on the speaker projects. Driven by whatever is around, currently Luxman receiver.

ed

adason said:
Hi Brisso57,

<SNIP>
I still do have the drivers, they are mounted on open baffle roughly 1x2ft accompanied with little tweeter. This baffle is sitting on top of closed box woofer, I believe woofer is 12". They are being used in the basement, when I work on the speaker projects. Driven by whatever is around, currently Luxman receiver.

ed

What is the tweeter that you are using?

Doug

hi all
just want to report this driver, a 3.5" sanyo 8 ohm 8 watts, R-S6879

when you come accross this driver, do not pass it, it sounds wonderfull
i was amazed how much music comes out of this little thingy
i just experimented with a small closed box and later with an open baffle and the midrange was so wonderfull and life like, that i ended up using it instead peerless driver for ht project
this driver is definitely designed as full range, it has quite an extended hights /although I ended up using a tweeter with it/
its bass is not deep, but it's there and in a small closed box actualy sounded pretty balanced
that's all

I just tried this driver (the one you pictured, with a flat dust cap) in a pair of zigmahornets.
Wow! Clarity sizzle and a surprising amount of bass too.
Prior to that I tried another Sanyo FE103A variant. That one has a domed dust cap. The flat-cap variant sounds much better.

cheers

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.