CNC horn GB, intrested?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have met a guy online who posts on this site. He was selling a pair of speakers that he desgined and cut out using CNC. They were built similar to the Japanese DIY horn kits. My question is if we could convince this gentalman to cut out kits for us would you guys want to buy one?

If there are enough of us the next question would be what horn design would we want to try?

I emailed the people at that site not long ago they were very helpful but the cost to get spearkers sent here is sky high. The smallest all wood BH was $230.00 + $209.00 shipping the cool ones with the clear plexie sides are over $600.00 and thats with out speakers! I think I just might buy a router and have at it and build my own, I can mess up a few sheets of mdf for 6 bills.:skull: :Pirate:

I'd like to try one...

Great idea to get a group to go together and have the kit cut for us and I think layertone has done some interesting work already...

Has a design been settled on yet?

I registered for this site just so I could post to this thread...

Again a good idea.

can anyone post a picture of this cabinet?
The one on the link is too pixleated (sp)
is anyone able to enlarge it? or clean it up, or post a better pic?
If possible driectly from the side.
Oh, and supply external dimensions of the case.
Thanx.

If i can see it better, and know the overall size, i can work it out and make one. If it works well then great. Woods cheap and i have a router so nothing lost if it turns out bad.

graeme uk said:
can anyone post a picture of this cabinet?
The one on the link is too pixleated (sp)
is anyone able to enlarge it? or clean it up, or post a better pic?
Maybe these are a little better.

Attachments

• hasehiroaudio3.jpg
    hasehiroaudio3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 567
Austin II...

Very sharp looking Layertone...... Is this a one off or could someone sign up for this experiment?

A few questions? And I'm sorry if they are kind of basic as I am trying to get up to speed here.
Do smooth radii for horns make any difference at all if the waves are wide ( I read that it doesn't matter on the web, but they look so nice.!....)

Dumb q #2...When MDF gets cut in fairly narrow width like that does it become brittle and prone to breaking?

What would the skin look like, or is that up to the creative power of each of us?

one more question..as far as resonance goes has anyone ever heard of a torsion box type baffle, it seems that might be good to decrease resonnance..... a link for the torsion box concept...

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_wwk/episode/0,2046,DIY_14350_26946,00.html

So basically we would have a front baffle with two skins and a frame between the two. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

afew q...

1. You use vertical supports for the MDF, why not for the first path behind the driver? It looks like it may break there?

2. You are trying to keep the weight down, why keep those back triangles solid insead of hollow?

I'm kind of interested in this project for myself. How much would a pair cost?

Thanks in advance.

layertone question

R these cut with CNC router or CNC laser machine...

since these are all through cuts, it seems to me that a laser would cut the pieces faster and then perhaps more cheaply, with less dust, etc.
but I don't know about the imortant indexing holes.... a cnc routing station could probably just drill them but a laser would have to burn them ands that may not work.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.