8-12" Bass reflex Full range Corner speaker (mono)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
8-12" Bass reflex Full range Corner speaker (mono)

I am looking to build a medium to high sensitivity mono bass reflex corner speaker with either a full range 8-12' speaker by itself or with a helper tweeter. What speakers would qualify? I would like bass down to 50 Hz and a bass reflex, as I do not have the skill to build a horn, nor have lots of money to spend. Would any 8 inch Fostex drivers work well? I would love to keep the driver cost to about 100 dollars, and have no problem with buying a vintage driver, if it would be a good choice. If I needed to add a tweeter, would a ribbon tweeter work well? I am looking for a wide dispersion, because it will be the only speaker in the room, and when listening to music, I will not always be directly in front of it. Are there any plans for a corner bass reflex for a full range driver? Could I make a suitable box by seeing how many liters would be optimal, and making one into a corner style encloser? Would haveing a wide baffle be detramental? I will be using a Fisher EL84 PP mono reciever that has been restored. The music will mainly be classical, jazz, and some rock.
Ben

100 bucks per side or 100 bucks total. That's not a lot of green, but the pioneer 8" would work okay for that budget. It's not that sensitive though.

I'm doing a version of the afterburner which uses a 12" eminence beta 12lt with a fostex ft-17h for the helper tweeter. Should make for a very nice speaker and really sensitive (around 96db/m). Could probably be built with the passive x-over for about 250 bucks for the whole shebang.

Nate

Nate_Taufer said:
100 bucks per side or 100 bucks total. That's not a lot of green, but the pioneer 8" would work okay for that budget. It's not that sensitive though.

I'm doing a version of the afterburner which uses a 12" eminence beta 12lt with a fostex ft-17h for the helper tweeter. Should make for a very nice speaker and really sensitive (around 96db/m). Could probably be built with the passive x-over for about 250 bucks for the whole shebang.

Nate

I have all the wood I need, so when I say 100 per side, I am thinking driver / crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.