Tang Band Bamb00 And Titanium Drivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2005, 06:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tang Band Bamb00 And Titanium Drivers?

Hello

I have been looking at the TANG BAND W3-1364S 3" BAMBOO CONE DRIVER

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...Number=264-844

And the TANG BAND W3-1335S 3" TITANIUM CONE DRIVER

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...Number=264-842

The titanium looks interesting--has anyone here had any Experience with these drivers?

I was thinking of building a line array 4 per cab.Just wanted to play around with some speakers.

thanks
Old 20th October 2005, 07:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default TB Bamboo

Hi,

I tested the W3 Bamboo driver in the German "Lancetta" TML design. It sounds nearly 1:1 like the original W3-871s driver. No difference except the price I will test the Titanium W3 real soon - don't know the enclosure yet (won't work proper in TML).

The W4 Bamboo on the other side is amazing! Here in Germany people use W4-655sa a lot. There are some kits/enclosures which made em popular, for example the "Stick" enclosure from Austria's No.1 DIY "cyburgs". It's a DBR enclosure and with W4 Bamboo it rocks! High range is much better than W4-655sa.

Regards
Thorsten
Old 20th October 2005, 11:10 AM   #3
lohk is offline lohk  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Thorsten,

where do I get the W4 bamboo driver in Germany or Austria? I do not find it on the lists of the usual suppliers?

Klaus / has made a "cyburgs needle" already
Old 20th October 2005, 11:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hello,

right now the German/Austrian/Swiss distributor "Blue Planet Acoustic" don't (plan to) import the drivers.

You can order them directly at Parts Express (think about shipping costs, tax & customs) or contact me.

Regards
Thorsten
Old 20th October 2005, 05:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Let me know what you think on the Titanium W3.How soon is real soon That you will know.

Not sure which one to go with yet--alot of people seem to have played around with the bamboo with great results,but no one knows much about the titanium
Old 20th October 2005, 08:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I haven't heard them, so perhaps they'll be great, but I have some doubts. Titanium is one of the more useless metals in my opinion. It's too light, too rigid, or perhaps I should say brittle (i.e. its self-damping properties are minimal), too expensive, and a pig to work with. I'd expect a subjectively hard (harsh?) and fast sound from these jobs. I could be wrong though. It's just that the only metal cone drivers I've ever heard that I liked were those made by Acoustic Energy -not just the expensive ones, the original Aegis mid-bass drivers were superb; I still have a pair of original Aegis Ones boxed up in the loft, and I don't intend to part with them. Of the two, I'd go for the paper / bamboo combination.

A quick suggestion: 4 drivers in a cabinet doth not a line array make. With only 4, you'll get none of the benefits, and quite a few drawbacks. An array should place the listener completely in the nearfield, thus effectively eliminating the room and its acoustic characteristics from the equation. A very short line will simply damage the imaging, though with these things being so small, it's less of a problem than for larger drivers. If you can't afford to use the 20-odd drivers per side an array will require (not a cheap proposition!), I'd go for a bipolar MLTL design, 2 or 4 speakers per cabinet, with 1/2 the drivers mounted on the rear baffle, firing backwards, and mechanically coupled to those in front. Another interesting alternative would be to use the same number of drivers in an isobaric enclosure.

Cheers
Scott
Old 20th October 2005, 08:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
I haven't heard them, so perhaps they'll be great, but I have some doubts. Titanium is one of the more useless metals in my opinion. It's too light, too rigid, or perhaps I should say brittle (i.e. its self-damping properties are minimal), too expensive, and a pig to work with. I'd expect a subjectively hard (harsh?) and fast sound from these jobs.

you are 100% right... I've been saying this for years about speakers that don't use soft cones... hell paper is without the doubt the least likely to cause all the above problems

but don't tell anyone I said that about those "blessed from heaven magnesium Seas cones"
Old 20th October 2005, 09:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

There is also the TANG BAND W3-315D 3" ALUMINUM/MAGNESIUM DRIVER

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...Number=264-811

I feel that titanium may be on the bright side myself--but aluminum has been used in many designs.
Old 21st October 2005, 12:51 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: TB Bamboo

I too am very interested in these new drivers. I've heard good things about the bamboo 4" but not very much. I'm waiting for more information them. The 3" titanium is interesting to me and with the steeper price on it I'd expect for it to be worth it, or hope so atleast.

Quote:
Originally posted by validator
Hi,

I tested the W3 Bamboo driver in the German "Lancetta" TML design. It sounds nearly 1:1 like the original W3-871s driver. No difference except the price I will test the Titanium W3 real soon - don't know the enclosure yet (won't work proper in TML).

The W4 Bamboo on the other side is amazing! Here in Germany people use W4-655sa a lot. There are some kits/enclosures which made em popular, for example the "Stick" enclosure from Austria's No.1 DIY "cyburgs". It's a DBR enclosure and with W4 Bamboo it rocks! High range is much better than W4-655sa.

Regards
Thorsten
Did you knowtice any differences from the w3-871 and the w3 bamboo? Do you own a pair of the w4 bamboo drivers? How do they compare to drivers such as the fe127? fr125? and which do you like more?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 21st October 2005, 03:59 AM   #10
jdybnis is offline jdybnis  United States
diyAudio Member

See my previous post about my impression of one of the titanium TB drivers.

Hide this!Advertise here!