Tang Band Bamb00 And Titanium Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TB Bamboo

Hi,

I tested the W3 Bamboo driver in the German "Lancetta" TML design. It sounds nearly 1:1 like the original W3-871s driver. No difference except the price ;) I will test the Titanium W3 real soon - don't know the enclosure yet (won't work proper in TML).

The W4 Bamboo on the other side is amazing! Here in Germany people use W4-655sa a lot. There are some kits/enclosures which made em popular, for example the "Stick" enclosure from Austria's No.1 DIY "cyburgs". It's a DBR enclosure and with W4 Bamboo it rocks! High range is much better than W4-655sa.

Regards
Thorsten

I haven't heard them, so perhaps they'll be great, but I have some doubts. Titanium is one of the more useless metals in my opinion. It's too light, too rigid, or perhaps I should say brittle (i.e. its self-damping properties are minimal), too expensive, and a pig to work with. I'd expect a subjectively hard (harsh?) and fast sound from these jobs. I could be wrong though. It's just that the only metal cone drivers I've ever heard that I liked were those made by Acoustic Energy -not just the expensive ones, the original Aegis mid-bass drivers were superb; I still have a pair of original Aegis Ones boxed up in the loft, and I don't intend to part with them. Of the two, I'd go for the paper / bamboo combination.

A quick suggestion: 4 drivers in a cabinet doth not a line array make. With only 4, you'll get none of the benefits, and quite a few drawbacks. An array should place the listener completely in the nearfield, thus effectively eliminating the room and its acoustic characteristics from the equation. A very short line will simply damage the imaging, though with these things being so small, it's less of a problem than for larger drivers. If you can't afford to use the 20-odd drivers per side an array will require (not a cheap proposition!), I'd go for a bipolar MLTL design, 2 or 4 speakers per cabinet, with 1/2 the drivers mounted on the rear baffle, firing backwards, and mechanically coupled to those in front. Another interesting alternative would be to use the same number of drivers in an isobaric enclosure.

Cheers
Scott

Scottmoose said:
I haven't heard them, so perhaps they'll be great, but I have some doubts. Titanium is one of the more useless metals in my opinion. It's too light, too rigid, or perhaps I should say brittle (i.e. its self-damping properties are minimal), too expensive, and a pig to work with. I'd expect a subjectively hard (harsh?) and fast sound from these jobs.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :shhh: :shhh:

you are 100% right... I've been saying this for years about speakers that don't use soft cones... hell paper is without the doubt the least likely to cause all the above problems

but don't tell anyone I said that about those "blessed from heaven magnesium Seas cones" :xeye:

Re: TB Bamboo

I too am very interested in these new drivers. I've heard good things about the bamboo 4" but not very much. I'm waiting for more information them. The 3" titanium is interesting to me and with the steeper price on it I'd expect for it to be worth it, or hope so atleast.

validator said:
Hi,

I tested the W3 Bamboo driver in the German "Lancetta" TML design. It sounds nearly 1:1 like the original W3-871s driver. No difference except the price ;) I will test the Titanium W3 real soon - don't know the enclosure yet (won't work proper in TML).

The W4 Bamboo on the other side is amazing! Here in Germany people use W4-655sa a lot. There are some kits/enclosures which made em popular, for example the "Stick" enclosure from Austria's No.1 DIY "cyburgs". It's a DBR enclosure and with W4 Bamboo it rocks! High range is much better than W4-655sa.

Regards
Thorsten

Did you knowtice any differences from the w3-871 and the w3 bamboo? Do you own a pair of the w4 bamboo drivers? How do they compare to drivers such as the fe127? fr125? and which do you like more?

Thanks,

Josh

TB Bamboo

edjosh23 said:
Did you knowtice any differences from the w3-871 and the w3 bamboo? Do you own a pair of the w4 bamboo drivers? How do they compare to drivers such as the fe127? fr125? and which do you like more?

Hi Josh,

I heard no notable difference between W3 Bamboo and W3-871. The W4 Bamboo - well the bass in DBR is really good and high range too (a bitter better than FR125) but the overall performance of CSS is more my taste. Haven't compared with FE127e.

Regards
Thorsten

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.