Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 82 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2006, 05:01 PM   #811
diyAudio Member

I decided that I would go out and purchase wood to build a pair of Needles for my 871s, but was wondering if a BIB would be possible with these drivers, I would prefer to build a BIB if possible. The QMS seems to pretty high, which from my understanding was good for BIBs (6.57), but QTS may be a little high (.59).

Thanks,

Josh
Old 8th June 2006, 05:05 PM   #812
zek is offline zek  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Are this thread good place for a formal request for BIB sims for VISATON BG20, FR 6,5" and FRS8 fullrange drivers

http://www.visaton.de/en/1/3/135.html
http://www.visaton.de/en/1/3/252.html
http://www.visaton.de/en/1/3/261.html
Old 9th June 2006, 08:43 AM   #813
diyAudio Member

I am about ready to build a pair of BIBs for the Fostex 168ES Sigmas. Using the guidelines, I came up with approx. internal dimensions of 6.5"(w) x 11.5"(d) x 60"(h).

After looking at Terry's latest Inverted BIB, which loads the floor rather than the ceiling, I was wondering on these lines:-

Use a 15" or 18" ELF type of sub and mount the 168 BIB above that to couple with the ceiling better (ceilings are usually 9'-10' high).

I would also like to use a Fountek JP3 ribbon in each BIB.

Set it up for active amplification with an active x-over and make the inputs switchable so that the 168 can be used either as the midrange in the 3-way active setup or as a Full Range.

This way it would be possible to have the best of all worlds ie., a 168 BIB that couples better with the ceiling and a switchable 3-way active system to handle even the most demanding type of music.

One more comment: How is the idea of either starting a thread or putting up the 'internal fill' details for each BIB in the zillaspeak website?
Old 9th June 2006, 11:50 AM   #814
zek is offline zek  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Just find another little fullrange driver from Visaton - FRS 8M
http://www.visaton.de/en/1/3/867.html

Please will someone do BIB sim for this driver
Old 9th June 2006, 01:55 PM   #815
diyAudio Member

That thing's got an Fs of 125Hz, which is way too high to be particularly useful in this sort of a load. However, if you desperately wish to, try a 20in^2 terminus, a line length of 55in and set the driver centre at 11in down from the sealed end. Probably best inverting them a la TCs new FE108ESigma types with the rear of the box chopped to allow them to breath, and stick them on a shelf. I'd favour the FF85K myself, then you'd have a BIB version of the Noogi (I love the look of those little things).

In case anyone has been wondering, the highish Fs of Visation's FR drivers (except the B200) is why I haven't bothered doing any sims for them. Wish they'd come up with a 6 1/2in version of the B200. That really could be very special indeed. Are you taking note, any Visation engineers? I'll look into those other 3 shortly as there's a request though.

Re the sub below a BIB -why not? could be good. The trick would be to integrate them properly, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. Jeff -any thoughts re the above comment about the site?

Cheers
Scott
Old 9th June 2006, 02:37 PM   #816
diyAudio Member

'internal fill'

I was planning on adding a graphic with internal fill options as i experimented with them on my BIB... but my BIB is still under construction having built only one and not having enough room to clear the magnet (grrrr) so i put it aside until i have additional baffles cut.

If anyone sends a pic i will post it or perhaps i will try to draw something up soon.

Peace,
Godzilla

PS. Works been a bitch
Old 9th June 2006, 02:52 PM   #817
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

BG20:

L = 178"
zdriver = 38.63"
Sm = 330"^2

Due to the driver's low Fs and low Xmax though, I recommend going with a shorter pipe:

L = 138"
zdriver = 30"
Sm = 330"^2

The FR6.5's super high Qts is way too high to work in a BIB.

The FRS8's Fs and Qts is high enough that it's probably better to turn it upside down and floor load it:

L = 65"
zdriver = 14.1"
Sm = 22.5"^2

GM
Old 9th June 2006, 02:59 PM   #818
diyAudio Member

I also need information on internal fill. I am putting the finish on my cabinets this weekend and will stuff and start testing them. I am using the FE168EZ and understand that the suggested fill should be above the driver and on the floor of the cabinet. Does anyone have a suggested amount for these areas?

Ray
Old 9th June 2006, 03:07 PM   #819
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Having spent a happy evening in the sun yesterday reading the thread so far, I'm getting hooked.

I think the flare rate has been touched on but to make sure I've got this clear... presumably the depth:width ratio of the mouth can't be too square on there isn't enough flare within the line. The original Cain BIB lookis 7 x 14 inches external so a 2:1 mouth opening seems about right. How close does this need to be and is there any advantage in increasing the ratio?
Old 9th June 2006, 03:30 PM   #820
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Apparently too much time in the sun has mucked up my proof reading ...

Hide this!Advertise here!