Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2005, 02:28 AM   #71
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
You'll find some dimensions I came up with for the Tang Band Bamboo 4" jobs in one of my earlier posts (post 53 on this thead).

Same dimensions apply for the FE103E, but in this case, I'd expect the TBs to be the better driver.
Greets!

FYI, as a general rule it's not a good idea to tune a vented design <~0.707*Fs since it leaves a big hole in the response. In the case of a ~80 Hz driver, this means in the critical midbass where the 'slam' factor of the bass guitar and kick drum is, so better IMO to tune the FE103E around 57 Hz and use a sub if desired. FWIW I calc'd:

L = 81.8"
Sm = 71.38"^2
X0 = L*0.21

GM
Old 23rd November 2005, 03:24 AM   #72
dmason is offline dmason  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that, Greg. ( )

It would be very interesting if you were to have a look at the final TS numbers for the long awaited HempTone 8

www.e-speakers.com I think this one is going to be a winner. If we had great candidates for 5, 6.5, and 8 inch BIBs, the world would be a better place.

The 168 Sigma BIBs sound pretty damn sweet tonight, folks.
Old 23rd November 2005, 07:03 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

Sounds good to me Greg -you've done it again. It was perhaps a little ambitious...

Oh -regarding that old spiral horn (nice enclosure) with the Tang Band's -possibly is the answer, but I don't pretend to be overly knowledgeable on hybrid TL / horn designs, so there are other people who can advise better on that one.

Best
Scott
Old 23rd November 2005, 05:37 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

OK...... First off remember I'm a newbie, so how does one tune the FE103 in BIB's to 57hz. Is the hole in the response a cab design issue or an issue with the driver? What would the optimal driver for these be or is there one. Seems there isn't the perfect cab or driver set up. Is this the holy grail of speaker building? I listen to soft & hard rock, folk mostly and to boot these will be powered by a NAD 3020e for the time being.
So I looked at the Monacor's (seems a good price point except for the hole in the response) but getting them to Canada won't be cheap so accessing the US market is much easier if there is a supplier for these. If not how low will the 103 go in the BIB if tuned to 57hz assuming they are placed in the corner or at least a wall (this is the plan). I don't want to use a sub, tuned to 57hz would you really need one? What seems to be the best compromise for this cab staying within a resonable buget?

Mark
Old 23rd November 2005, 05:52 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Airframe,

I would recommend the Monacors, as they will give you a very healthy dose of Real Music for Little Dough. Wolfgang, our sympathetic friend at www.spectrumaudio.de is very adept at getting his packages over here without hassle from those at your door. He would email your contract and receipt, leaving them out of the package, so as to avoid duty assessment.

I have it on very good authority from a pro speaker builder that the Monacor 5" is THE 5 inch driver to beat, and is planning on releasing a model employing it, in January. Very full, large, and round tone, abit polite on top, and my bet is that it would be an outstanding choice if you were applying Sand Power to it. Already heard it sucks far less than Fostex, with SS, sounds pretty good with it. Fostex drivers sound far, far better with low damped tube power, or for some reason, T amps. Personally, I would stay away from Fostex drivers if using transistor amps.
Old 23rd November 2005, 06:13 PM   #76
TC is offline TC  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Personally, I would stay away from Fostex drivers if using transistor amps
But Accuphase is the Fostex rec'd amp. And the Firstwatt on Fostex is VG++++.

Me I like older McIntosh SS and anything Pass. Bad hankerin for big blue meters lately.

TC
Old 23rd November 2005, 06:28 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Fine, but I am referring to "transistor" amps in the same vein as in "transistor radios." This is not referring to Accuphase, or Current Source Amplification. Those types excel. Transistor, like Sony Home Theater, do not. Exceptions: my dying Hafler A/AB 9505 excels with Fostex drivers, sounds almost as good on my GarageHorns as my 2 watt SE T-ube amp using TV oscillator tubes. Ya know? You should hear it. Oh yeah, you have. It's whatever adjusts one's vertical hold.
Old 23rd November 2005, 06:33 PM   #78
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Fostex drivers sound far, far better with low damped tube power, or for some reason, T amps. Personally, I would stay away from Fostex drivers if using transistor amps.
... unless you have designed the speaker system to work with a SS amp. I have had very good results designing speakers using both Fostex and Lowther drivers and my 200 watt SS amps. Even the one or two dedicated tube users who have heard my system have grudgingly been surprised. Nothing is absolute in audio.
Old 23rd November 2005, 06:36 PM   #79
The one and only

And you can always run the SS through a transformer or
resistor to get some of those effects.
Old 23rd November 2005, 06:43 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

Well my NAD 3020E is hardly top of the line but it is a high current design if I remember correctly, hopefully they will sound good if not my next step is a t-amp or gain clone maybe. I'll try to get a hold of Wolfgang to see about pricing to my door.

PS for all CDN's Hemp FR8's are available at Solen.ca!

MArk

Hide this!Advertise here!