Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 75 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2006, 11:02 PM   #741
diyAudio Member

Default yeah...

the whole thing with resistance, at least what I remember from physics class is that resistance is a function of length. so a short run of tiny wire is not much of a problem. also, there are certainly benifits of this tiny wire that go beyond the realm of the ability to explain such with equations...

the thin magnet wire is really nice because it does not hurt the sound too much with the longer runs, and seems to add resistance at the same time, which is good for tuning bass response out of these fostex drivers.

well, I am debating another BIB or simply going bass reflex for my pair of 126e and cobra spiral horn or BIB for my fe103e pair.

work on the fe206es-r (fostex reccommended cab) will start soon as well.

howsa bout some sims for a pair of fe87sp (old version that we can buy super cheap from madisound)? any interest? thanks.

this is a lot of projects for three months

Clark
Old 24th May 2006, 01:11 AM   #742
diyAudio Member

Thanks for posting the picture Zilla. The miter joints were cut with a circular saw and a saw board. It is very easy but you need a saw mated with a good blade( CMT, Forrest, etc.) and a saw board. The joints were glued using an old cabnet makers technique....tape the panels together, flip them, run a bead of glue down the cavity and fold up. Clamps were not even needed; just a tape strap across the open side to apply pressure.
The finish stage is next but it will have to wait. We are going to North Carolina for the holiday week-end. It is my wife's 50th Birthday.
Planned finish is linseed oil and wax......but who knows?!?!
Thanks again Zilla......
Old 24th May 2006, 01:41 AM   #743
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bottom_feeder
thanks buddy

Me thinks I see a (40-1285D) BIB in my future, and not for drooling . . (har har)
Greets!

You're welcome!

L = 120"
zdriver = 26"
Sm = 330"^2

GM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40-1285d t.c. bib done in blh ws.jpg (22.2 KB, 780 views)
Old 24th May 2006, 07:11 AM   #744
diyAudio Member

Default wow - you are the man !

Nothing like standing on the shoulders of giants to get the job done ! (insert Dr. Evil laugh here) REALLY looking forward to trying this design. I'll just have to hit the Home Despot for some nice 3/4 Baltic Birch and away I go.

I'm also waiting to receive all the little bits to build my first tube amp based on the *boozhound* 6V6 Triode strapped / 6SN7 driver. All the iron is coming from an RCA console with 6V6 outputs, and I have some nice NOS Syl 6SN7W's, and a mess of different 6v6's to roll with.

Course, it'll only be kicking about 1.5 watts, so I can always regress back to my mid 70's Marantz integrated for the *big juice* if need be.

It's gonna be a good summer
Old 24th May 2006, 07:11 AM   #745
diyAudio Member

Default followup question . . .

is Sm the area of the upward firing mouth / exit?

thanks !

Mark
Old 24th May 2006, 10:50 AM   #746
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM
Greets!

Correct.

GM

Thanks GM!

fred
Old 24th May 2006, 11:12 AM   #747
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default re: internal speaker wire

Hi,

I tried qood quality 24AWG magnet wire (Chimera Labs style spkr braid *google it*). Sounds good to me. It can be microphonic in longer runs so it's better if it is damped with some bandage cloth (cotton) and some masking tape to hold the ends with, and then slipped into thin techflex or polyester sleeving. Put a heatshrink at the end before the + and - braid split.

fred
Old 24th May 2006, 04:50 PM   #748
diyAudio Member

Default here's a bib idea . . . vintage KLH ??

So in at least two KLH designs from the 60's, Model 14, and model 19, they used very smooth sounding 3.5 / 4 " fullrange drivers. both designs had two per cabinet, with a small 2 " X 2 " port; box volume couldn't have been more than .75 cubic feet. They use no tweeter, and go quite low considering the size of the speaker & enclosure . . . BIG Alnico magnets too

based on the wiggle room for the BIB design, these could sound nice in (I'm guessing) enclosures similar to the small jordan FR drivers, or maybe the 1197 Radio Shack . . .

HMMMMM . . . looks like I already have BIB project number two, since I have 10 of those little FR monsters hiding in the basement. I was going to try a little KLH line array with 5 per side, but the BIB is looking more fun.

thanks for the inspiration guys !
Old 24th May 2006, 06:43 PM   #749
diyAudio Member

Sorry I've been absent for a few days guys -work's taken up a bit of time recently.

As per a request for the neophone, here's one.
Line length 128in.
Zdriver 25.75in
Sm (or Sl if you are so inclined) 55in^2.

I'd like to think this driver is a good one, though I doubt we'll know until someone gives it a whirl. Expensive risk. The specs are nice though, which is a good start.

Cheers
Scott

PS, Greg -how are you doing it in the BLH sheet? I'm assuming set a tapered CC from So to the driver centre point, and the throat as the same area as the driver end?

S.
Attached Images
File Type: gif neophone 5.25in driver.gif (6.9 KB, 728 views)
Old 24th May 2006, 06:47 PM   #750
diyAudio Member

And here's a graph for Greg's Lowther C45 BIB, assuming of course the claimed factory T/S parameters are correct.
Attached Images
File Type: gif lowther c45 bib.gif (6.8 KB, 708 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!